VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have several avi files on 3 CDs. They are each between 100 and 250 MB. They are security video clips from Walmart (no sound). I tried to view them with
    Quicktime - wouldn't load
    Windows Media Player - wouldn't load
    VLC - black screen but the timer loads correctly and runs
    DivX Plus Player - black screen but the timer loads correctly and runs
    Oxelon Media Converter - status comes up as error
    GSpot 2.70a - Identifies file as AVI 1.0. Under Codec it says "SN40" and name "unknown" and status "Codecs are NOT installed"
    Under proposed codec solutions and tests it says "Unable to render the video"

I am not experienced with any of these programs. I've just been bumbling along following what I can find online. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Security camera manufacturers like to encode their videos in proprietary ways, for some reason (to make them harder to alter, perhaps?), and often, you'll probably need to check with the manufacturer for either a special viewer, or a codec. In this case, it sounds as though the videos are encoded with a proprietary video codec.

You can try running the videos through MediaInfo to get a little more information about them, but chances are, you'll need to at least see if the camera manufacturer has a player or codec on their website you can use (or failing that, contact them and see what you can do with the videos).
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ffmpeg and mplayer natively support "SN40" for windows and linux ... give it a try

And this link for the device
    Quote Quote  
  4. Thanks for the input! Walmart tells me that they viewed the video through Videosphere Evidence Viewer which is apparently a program that is supposed to autorun the clips for third parties (law enforcement, etc...). They also supposedly downloaded the player along with the videos on the cds. However, when I open the CD in explorer all I see is the three video clips which now have the Quicktime icon on them. Any suggestions?

Videosphere:
    http://www.structuredweb.com/sw/swchannel/CustomerCenter/documents/4345/7191/VisualIntelligence.pdf

Thanks,

Chris
    Quote Quote