VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have a new Toshiba Blu-Ray 2150 player that seems to turn off by itself after 30 minutes of playing an MKV file burned onto a DVD disc.

I've tried turning on and off the system screen saver and checked any potetnial Sleep timers that I could find but nothing seems to work. When I have the screen saver on, it actually comes on after the designated time WHILE THE MACHINE IS PLAYING the MKV file. Tt's almost as if the machine doesn't see the DVD disk

Blu-Rays play fine with the machine not shutting off.

What could be happening here?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    It could be a lot of things.

Bug in the player's firmware.

Corruption in the video that is so bad it freaks out your player and shuts it down. It's not common, but I have seen this kind of thing happen.

Bad quality media and there's a bad spot in the burn that freaks out your player and makes it shut down.

I can think of one more thing - does this happen at a point where the audio gets REALLY loud after being fairly quiet? I've seen this with some DTS soundtracks and even 1 or 2 AC3 soundtracks where my receiver just shuts down. If I start it back up again and play the same sound with the volume turned down a lot, it makes it stay on. If you think that this could be the case, try lowering the volume. It could be that your player is shutting down, like my receiver, because it thinks the audio it just got is too loud and can damage your speakers, so it shuts down as a defense mechanism rather than to play it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jman98 View Post

Probably this one. The programmer forgot to tell the screen saver that MKV is playing.

You can test this by playing known good quality MKV files and see if they shut down at the same time interval.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  4. So I've had the chance to play a number of non-blu-ray formats -- both burned onto DVD idsc and via the USB key and in all cases the player turns off after 30 mins.

I can't believe Toshiba would ship something like this out with this kind of omission.

How does one check for firmware updates? I hooked it up thorugh an eterhnet cable and the only thing it seems to check for is software updates.

I wonder if there 's anythign else that can be done.

Originally Posted by edDV View Post
    Originally Posted by jman98 View Post

Probably this one. The programmer forgot to tell the screen saver that MKV is playing.

You can test this by playing known good quality MKV files and see if they shut down at the same time interval.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    check Toshiba support download page.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  6. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Bobor View Post
    So I've had the chance to play a number of non-blu-ray formats -- both burned onto DVD idsc and via the USB key and in all cases the player turns off after 30 mins.

I can't believe Toshiba would ship something like this out with this kind of omission.

How does one check for firmware updates? I hooked it up thorugh an eterhnet cable and the only thing it seems to check for is software updates.

I wonder if there 's anythign else that can be done.
    NOTHING any major manufacturer does surprises me, but to be fair Toshiba and others probably don't put what I will call "other formats" through the kind of testing that they would DVD and BluRay playback. They probably just do "Does it play?"
    testing for MKV files and when it does, they count it done. With DVDs and BluRays they probably do extensive testing to see if the movie plays all the way through without failure. This just illustrates why media players are better for playing MKV, MP4, Divx/Xvid, etc. files than DVD and BluRay players.

What you call a "software update" is a firmware update. It is trying to do what you want but it's not calling it by the expected term.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    What happens if you fast forward 10 minutes? Will it play for 20 or 30 minutes or something else?

Does you player recognise MP4 files and if so, do you have the same problem?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Well, looks to be somewhat common problem: http://forums.toshiba.com/t5/Blu-ray-DVD-Players-Recorders/BDX2150-shutting-off-while-playing-USB-movie/td-p/240582

Unfortunately Toshiba doesn't seem to be in any urgency to fix this...
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I think that most of these other formats are just added in so they can put more fluff on the box. Compatibility is dodgey and until the manufacturers start actually caring if it works right, you're better off with a real media player. The WD boxes are tough to beat, and pretty cheap.
    Quote Quote  
  10. I have the same model and my player does the same thing. It's like the player doesn't recognize that it is actually in use when playing burned discs or media. I've been hitting pause then play after about 25 minutes and that seems to stop it from turning itself off after 30 minutes. But it's so frustrating when I forget to do that and it turns off in the middle of what I'm watching. Or you can set the screensaver for 20 minutes to remind you to hit the pause button so it doesn't shut off I guess. I thought maybe it was just a defect with my player but after reading you having the same problem I think I will return it and buy a different one.

I called Toshiba about this issue and she said that I must have a defect and to exchange it, but I wonder if they know about the problem and are just trying to cover it up. I do not want to exchange it for the same thing only to have the same problem.
    Quote Quote