VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hey guys, sorry if this has been answered before but I didn't find any threads matching this issue.

I've been successfully using my Macbook Pro (late 2009 model) and connecting it to my Westinghouse lcd via HDMI for a while now. I recently purchased a new Westinghouse LED LD-3280 and I've been having certain issues doing the same thing. When I make the initial connection everything works fine. Resolution is good and 1080p playback is stable, up until I start playing an MKV file. For some reason MKV's, regardless of the size, are getting distorted during playback on the tv screen. Only MKV's though, not mp4's or DivX. I've tried 2 different media player's, VLC and MPlayer for OSX, and both of them show the same problem. I've tried playing with the settings and changing HDMI cable's and still no luck.

Here is a screenshot of playback on my laptop (how the MKV should be playing):

& Here is a screenshot of playback on the TV (how the MKV should not be playing):

I wouldn't care to use mp4's except my movie collection is all in MKV's. Anyone have any ideas on fixing the issue? Any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    It's really strange that it's just mkvs.

But it could be some video overlay/hardware acceleration issue. The laptop display uses video overlay and not the hdmi out then.

Try just use the hdmi output(if it's possible) and not both at same time and see how it works. Or if you can set the "primary" monitor to the hdmi-out.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
    Try just use the hdmi output(if it's possible) and not both at same time and see how it works. Or if you can set the "primary" monitor to the hdmi-out.
    The hdmi out is always set as primary, the laptop monitor just stays running in the background. I usually dont use the laptop during HDMI playback on the tv, I just split the video for screen shot purposes.

Strangely enough, if i set the displays to be mirrored (what I see on the laptop is the same as on the TV), the resolution and colors downgrade but the MKV playback has no issues. I'm now even more confused
    Quote Quote