VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Our cable company is moving everyone to DTAs. A DVD-R recorder or VHS unit hooked up to a DTA loses the ability to program channel changes for recording in advance. Was wondering if there were any solutions for this. I saw some posts regarding digital to analog converters and the possibility of using learning remotes with timers to change channels. Are there any hardware solutions, such as remotes with timers that will work with the DTA or even with an off-the-air digital to analog converter? Do any DVD-R devices support QAM signals and would that help in this situation? The only other solution I can think of is to hook up multiple recording devices each tuned to a different channel. Any suggestions? Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    This question has come up before, and nobody says they own a learning remote that has a progammable timer. I suspect it is because remotes with programmable timers don't exist. There are computer-based solutions that could be programmed do it, but it won't be inexpensive or simple to use one.

Most DVD recorders with an ATSC digital tuner can tune clear QAM as well, which will only provide your local stations and a few others, such as shopping channels, The Weather Channel, and C-Span. All the other digital cable channels in your package will almost certainly be encrypted. The problem is that DVD recorders with an ATSC/QAM tuner are not easy to find now, and DVD recorders will likely not be made anymore for the US after this year. Magnavox still makes some of them, but you will likely need to purchase online.

I set the cable box and over-the-air converter box to a channel in advance and record using my DVD recorder's A/V lines-in. On-demand access to popular TV shows via the cable box and a PC TV tuner for recording from an antenna also help.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    The problem is that DVD recorders with an ATSC/QAM tuner are not easy to find now, and DVD recorders will likely not be made anymore for the US after this year. Magnavox still makes some of them, but you will likely need to purchase online.
    You may need to purchase VERY quickly. I don't remember who said it, but one of our forum regulars said that he heard that Magnavox was stopping sales of DVD recorders in the US and Canada by the end of February
    Quote Quote  
  4. I think it's a shame that they're phasing out the DVD-R recorders. They certainly seem to do their job well. I do already have a DVD-R with ATSC support. Wasn't sure if it supported QAM too. Also have the Hauppauge 950Q for my computer and that does have QAM and ATSC support. Doesn't seem to get that many channels through QAM though. Our cable company says we need to hook up the DTAs to all our TVs and video recorders. If the TV or recorder is HDTV ready or has QAM support, do you still need to hook the devices to the DTA? My impression was that the DTAs are for analog to digital conversion. That shouldn't be necessary with digital ready equipment, should it? Of course, there's the encryption factor too. Sounds like the best way to go is with an ATSC compatible device and only deal with over-the-air digital signals. If anyone has any other techniques for channel switching, would be interested in hearing them. Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lmemsm View Post
    Our cable company says we need to hook up the DTAs to all our TVs and video recorders. If the TV or recorder is HDTV ready or has QAM support, do you still need to hook the devices to the DTA? My impression was that the DTAs are for analog to digital conversion. That shouldn't be necessary with digital ready equipment, should it? Of course, there's the encryption factor too. Sounds like the best way to go is with an ATSC compatible device and only deal with over-the-air digital signals. If anyone has any other techniques for channel switching, would be interested in hearing them. Thanks.
    Cable providers are required by law to provide at least the primary sub-channel for all your full-power local over-the-air stations as clear QAM, unless they are small enough and poor enough to qualify for a hardship exemption from the FCC. PBS has an agreement nationally for all its channels to be carried unencrypted. You will probably be able to watch the unencrypted channels, plus any remaining analog channels without using a DTA, if you have a TV with a clear QAM tuner.

Anything else can be encrypted at the discretion of the cable provider, and you would need to rent equipment from your cable company to watch the encrypted channels, even if you own something with a clear QAM tuner. Also, some cable providers are using switched digital video, where the cable box must actually send a request to receive some channels, and in that case you might need a set top box even for some channels that are left unencrypted.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 17th Jan 2012 at 13:16.
    Quote Quote