VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally I was simply going to add subtitles to HD MP4 formatted videos to play on my Xbox 360. I spent like an hour trying to get one method down, and I failed (lol). So I should move onto using MeGUI, but I've spent to much time working on mere hard subbing, and I figure simply downgrading the resolution of an MKV would be a lot easier and faster.

I'm using a Windows XP desktop and Xvid4PSP. Whenever I try to "convert" MKV videos from something like 720p to 480p, it takes me way to long (nearly 2 hours), for a "fast" conversion at that. I lose quality and it sometimes acts up on frames. I always figured it was my really crappy and old computer, but I just wanted to make sure. On average, people normally tell me their conversions only take a matter of minutes.

~*My Real Question*~
    So how can I figure out the video and audio encoding of the video I'm trying to convert. I hope that way, it won't take me hours to "convert" what I shouldn't be converting. I'll just use the same settings it originally had. Would that take time off my "conversion" of going 720p resolution 480p?
    Last edited by Phantoms Cry; 16th Jan 2012 at 14:54.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Try convert to avi xvid with a low resolution(480p) instead. You wont get faster conversion if you use same settings as the original(HD 720).

Or buy a better media player. Most supports mp4 with external subtitles, http://www.iboum.com/net-media-players.php .
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
    Try convert to avi xvid with a low resolution(480p) instead. You wont get faster conversion if you use same settings as the original(HD 720).

Or buy a better media player. Most supports mp4 with external subtitles, http://www.iboum.com/net-media-players.php .

It's unfortunate, but I was really looking for a faster conversion. To bad lowering the resolution isn't the fastest method here. I didn't know switching over to a 480p avi would be quicker. If I can't get that much of a faster conversion, I might as well stick to MP4 conversions. Still, in the end I'm stuck with getting my stupid hard subbing down. By the way, I was originally using MP4 hard subtitles for my Xbox. I can't really do much to help that. In the end, I'm going to have to work back around getting my hard subs to start working properly. I appreciate the reply, help, and suggestions.

Sooner or later, I'm going to buy a TV Media Player to help ease my entire case. ^^
    Quote Quote