VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Can I connect my Panasonic ZS3 (via HDMI) to my Canon Vixia camcorder (via HDMI) for the purpose of recording my videos from the one camera to the other? That is, is HDMI a "two-way" wire? (I know I will need another HDMI wire, that is, one that has the smaller end for both devices...I assume this is the easy part.)

With old Sony TRV-17 MiniDV camcorder, I could use the audio/video connector to either send video to my VCR or receive it from my VCR VCR. Does the same principle apply with HDMI?

The reason I need to do this is that I cannot transfer my video from my Panasonic ZS3 as the SD card is somehow corrupted and not recognized by my computer. But I *can* watch the videos via HDMI on my TV. If you are interested in this problem, here is my question at TomsHardware. I seem to be at a dead end on the fixing the SD card front, so this HDMI thing is my workaround
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    In theory, yes. HDMI output is nearly standard now. Input is possible, but only if the hardware/firmware is set up to allow that as an option (similar to the analog passthrough you mentioned).

In practice, I know of NO cameras that do this yet. I would think that Hollywood would have a major gripe about this, even with HDCP compliance incorporated.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  3. @Cornucopia, thanks for the reply. I bought and HDMI-to-Composite converter box today. (See product here.) I connected my a/v-to-composite cable out the other end and connected it to my mini DV camcorder. It worked as I had hoped, but in standard definition, of course.

I'm wondering if there is any advantage to reproducing the same thing, but on a 1080p camcorder (assuming it allows the a/v input). I read that composite cables (yellow/red/white) can't handle anything over 480p. So, I wonder if the 1080p camcorder would somehow upscale or improve the video image in any way better than what the MiniDV camcorder can do. At the very least, the 1080p camcorder (which used SD cards) will make it simpler to dump the video back to the computer. After a few years of SD transfers, the idea of a real-time firewire transfer seems quaint.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Darryl In Canada View Post
    @Cornucopia, thanks for the reply. I bought and HDMI-to-Composite converter box today. (See product here.) I connected my a/v-to-composite cable out the other end and connected it to my mini DV camcorder. It worked as I had hoped, but in standard definition, of course.

I'm wondering if there is any advantage to reproducing the same thing, but on a 1080p camcorder (assuming it allows the a/v input). I read that composite cables (yellow/red/white) can't handle anything over 480p. So, I wonder if the 1080p camcorder would somehow upscale or improve the video image in any way better than what the MiniDV camcorder can do. At the very least, the 1080p camcorder (which used SD cards) will make it simpler to dump the video back to the computer. After a few years of SD transfers, the idea of a real-time firewire transfer seems quaint.
    Firewire (IEEE-1394) was ideal to do this at 720x480/576 (much higher quality vs composite) with no limitation. All DV camcorders that I know of were bi-directional. They could play or record from the DV port.

This is not true for HDMI. Most all HDMI camcorders will not record over the HDMI port. It isn't a technology issue although recording HDMI may add some cost to the camcorder. It is primarily a policy issue.

My position is video producers should have this capability but the camcorder manufacturers don't want to open the door to normal consumers wanting to record commercial content to HDMI via a camcorder. Most commercial content is HDCP protected and must be blocked by law. They just don't want the angry customer support issues so they won't implement the technology.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Question to the original poster - does your camera that you are trying to copy from have a component output option? If so you could use the hauppauge hd pvr or a similar unit with component input to capture up to 1080i that way. I think the blackmagic intensity card would be able to do it via hdmi since this is unencrypted. Not sure if it will work with a camcorder but I don't see why not.

Anyway those should be two realtime alternatives for high def capturing (at least up to 1080i via the hdpvr and component if you have it).
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  6. @yoda313, my Panasonic ZS3 doesn't have a component output, only USB and HDMI.

As a follow up to my last post, my other camera -- the Canon Vixia HF20 -- doesn't have any inputs (HF20 manual), unlike my old MiniDV camcorder. So, it won't be possible to use it to transfer the video from my Panasonic ZS3 via HDMI to the Canon Vixia HF20.

I'll need to find my firewire wire and connect my MiniDV player to my computer to move my standard definition videos to safety.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Darryl In Canada View Post
    @yoda313, my Panasonic ZS3 doesn't have a component output, only USB and HDMI.

As a follow up to my last post, my other camera -- the Canon Vixia HF20 -- doesn't have any inputs (HF20 manual), unlike my old MiniDV camcorder. So, it won't be possible to use it to transfer the video from my Panasonic ZS3 via HDMI to the Canon Vixia HF20.

I'll need to find my firewire wire and connect my MiniDV player to my computer to move my standard definition videos to safety.
    There are many confusing statements here.

Canon Vixia HF20 recordes AVCHD format (either 1440x1080i or 1920x1080i)

Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS3 records "AVCHD Lite" 1280x720p30.

Even if they did have HDMI in (which they don't) they operate in different formats.

Neither of these cameras have anything to do with MiniDV and Firewire. For that you would need an HDV format camcorder which does have bidirectional Firewire capability with DV or HDV formats.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote