VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi

I have a bad mkv that won't let me extract the audio. The file has 1 video (VC-1), 1 audio (TrueHD) and 3 subs (text files).
    When I try to use mkvextract (GUI or CLI) the supposed 2nd track (the audio) is not extracted but instead I get the track 4 (a subtitle). Even the name of the file is wrong (missing extension).
    If I try to extract track 5 alone or in group (supposedly a srt file) I get an instant "ok", but no file at all.

Any clues? Any other way to do the job?
    Quote Quote  
  2. try mkvextractgui-2 or mkvcleaver

if , by "bad" you mean damaged, try reparing it
    http://meteorite.sourceforge.net/
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi!
    I've tried mkvextract GUI (ie: mkvextractgui-2 that came with mktoolnix). I've also tried with mkvcleaver (both are a frontend for mkvextract). mkvextract alone (command line) fails too (that's the reason for the GUIs to fail, I guess). With CLI version when I try to extract track 5 I get a "No track with ID 5 was found in the source file". And I think that this is the wrong part because the GUI lists all 5 tracks plus the chapter file.
    As for damaged or not, I don't know. The files plays OK with VLC and MPC-HC and I can select all tracks so it doesn't appear to be damaged. I've tried with Meteorite and it's not doing anything different. I've tried with the "corrected" file and I get same error/problem
    Quote Quote  
  4. try eac3to

eac3to input.mkv -demux
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    MKVtoolnix has had a bit of a "Track ID" overhaul lately, depending on which versions of which programs you are using, especially 3rd party programs, you can get into some bother extracting the correct tracks.

Assuming you are using the latest version, don't use mkvinfo, its "Track ID" does not correspond to the same "Track ID" needed for mkvextract to extract the tracks.

Do this:
    mkvmerge --identify-verbose "myfile.mkv"
    (this should give you the correct "Track ID" for your desired tracks so you can extract as normal using mkvextract)

Hope this helps.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    WWM_UK, you were right. mkvmerge reported tracks from 0 to 4. mkvextract from 1 to 5. So:
    • If I try to extract track 5, I get an error
    • If I try to extract track 4, I get the last track (number 4 by mkvmerge)
    Audio was track 2 (mvkextract), so I had to extract track 1 instead (I wonder what should I do if I had to extract the video file with the GUI as mkvextarct don't allow me to extract track 0 ).
    It's related somehow and maybe developers can have some info about it: when I extract files mkvextract mixed the extensions, so the audio (no extension) was extracted as AVI and the first sub (track 3 in mkvextract) was extracted without extension (track 2 in mkvmerge).

Thanks to everybody!

PS: poisondeathray, didn't try eac3to, but thanks anyway
    Quote Quote