VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. what resolution will a DVD recorder set-top capture. i have a philipsdvdr3505set top recorder connected to a vizo hd tv and direct tv hd dvr with hdmi. ,hdmi 1 connected the dvr the philips connected to hdmi 2,hdmi1 gets 1080i and the best i get thu,hdmi 2 is480i. do dvd recording get any higher then 480i,new at this so thanks any help you give me on this. or links to this . xbill
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Moving you to our dvd recorder section.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    DVD is strictly a standard definition format. Your DVD recorder can only capture at 480i (if living in an NTSC country) or 576i (if living in a PAL country.). If you want high definition, you need to use a different kind of recording device. The options available to you for HD recording will depend upon what you are trying to record, and where you live.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    xbill -- why to you think they created Blu-ray?
    Quote Quote  
  5. thanks on dvd answer . what about just watching thu dvd recorder&hdmi2, will that be480i also.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by xbill View Post
    thanks on dvd answer . what about just watching thu dvd recorder&hdmi2, will that be480i also.
    It depends on the video output setting of your recorder. You'll have to access the setup menu and see if it allows you to set this. My guess it that it will at least support 480p. If the model supports upscaling (I have no idea if it does or not) then you should be able to get 1080i or 1080p. Most HDTVs are capable of good quality upscaling of 480i/p sources so it's not something I would worry about. In fact, it's always possible that your TV may actually do a better job of upscaling than your DVD recorder but you would have to do your own testing on that.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The best a standard DVDR will record is 720x480i(full D1) most DVDRs drop to 1/2 D1 for speeds slower than SP(~2hrs/DVD). 1/2 D1 is 320x480i.
    Using a computer it is possible to record HD on DVD but the format will only play on BD players.
    Watching anything though a DVDR(other than RF pass thru) will be SD and may be upconverted to HD. Upconverted SD is NOT HD.
    Quote Quote