VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I would like software that generates an HTML menu of video files that I have stored in a directory on my computer. I would like to specify the directory that has the video files and the software will create a web page with thumbnails that link to an embedded flash video player of those files. I know they make plenty of software for doing this with images but I haven't found something similar for video. All my web searches so far just turn up instructions for getting videos into youtube.

Ultimately, I would like to put a lot of video files on a portable hard drive that has a single HTML page that people can open to get a menu of videos. Does such software exist?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by villavideo
    Ultimately, I would like to put a lot of video files on a portable hard drive that has a single HTML page that people can open to get a menu of videos
    What is your playback device?

If its an external hardware media player like a wdtv it already does that on its own and you could use folders for your various videos.

If this is for using on a computer than I do not have a suggestion. I just thought I would save you the hassle if you are going to use the videos on the harddrive with a media player.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  3. New multimedia players have their own interfaces unlike DVD or BD approach where menu must be created by author.
    And ussualy you can choose list preview (with little screen preview) or thumbnail preview or whatever designers come up with.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Thanks for the feedback. The intended playback device is a computer for now. I was basically looking for a way to present a menu of movies without the user requiring software. Just a "plug this USB drive in and click on the link" solution. I think I may have found a solution and that is using Ant Movie Catalog (http://www.antp.be/software/moviecatalog). It has the abilty to export its movie database to HTML. I don't know if it has all the bells and whistles I want, but if it provides the basic template I'm sure I can hack more functionality into the HTML.
    Quote Quote  
  5. You try to do the same thing what internet explorer does inside Windows as default.

Or you want to do it more fancy or to have your player built in it so there is no compatibility problem?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by _Al_ View Post
    You try to do the same thing what internet explorer does inside Windows as default.

Or you want to do it more fancy or to have your player built in it so there is no compatibility problem?
    I would like to avoid Windows Explorer because all the movie files are in various sub folders so I would like them all to be available from a single location. I don't want people to have to navigate around the file system to find what they're looking for. I would also like to present more information on each movie than just the basic file data such as when it was taken, where, and who's in the movie.
    Quote Quote