VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. HI,

I have a Quicktime file that plays fine with no sync problems, but when I try to convert it to the default MPEG4 AVI mencoder, it goes out of sync.
    I have tried selecting different frame rates (Pal 25 etc) but to no avail.

Any ideas?

Cheers!

Baz.
    Quote Quote  
  2. check mediainfo view=> text copy & paste the info back here

You can try other software like xmedia recode, or avidemux
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thanks for replying.

I downloaded the GUI version of mediainfo.

I dragged the filke into the main window, then selected view=> text.

This is what it showed:

Transfer characteristics : BT.709-2, SMPTE 170M, SMPTE 274M, SMPTE 293M, SMPTE 296M
    Matrix coefficients : BT.470-4 System B, BT.470-4 System G, BT.601-4, SMPTE 170M, SMPTE 293M

Audio
    ID : 8
    Format : PCM
    Format settings, Endianness : Big
    Format settings, Sign : Signed
    Codec ID : twos
    Duration : 2h 57mn
    Bit rate mode : Constant
    Bit rate : 1 536 Kbps
    Channel(s) : 2 channels
    Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz
    Bit depth : 16 bits
    Stream size : 1.90 GiB (69%)
    Language : English
    Encoded date : UTC 2012-01-03 18:46:59
    Tagged date : UTC 2012-01-03 18:53:12

Text
    ID : 7
    Format : Apple text
    Codec ID : text
    Bit rate mode : Variable
    Bit rate : 1 bps
    Stream size : 699 Bytes (0%)
    Material_Duration : 7454415
    Material_StreamSize : 699

Have I done what you asked me correctly?

BR.

Baz.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Nope, it seems to be missing the video information; it only lists the audio and text stream

Sometimes MOV can contain variable frame rate (VFR) video; AVI container doesn't support VFR . It should say in the video portion of mediainfo if the frame rate is variable
    Quote Quote  
  5. Ahh, that was my mistake. I missed the video section when I copied and pasted.

Here it is again, in full:

Format : MPEG-4
    Format profile : QuickTime
    Codec ID : qt
    File size : 2.77 GiB
    Duration : 3h 21mn
    Overall bit rate mode : Variable
    Overall bit rate : 1 968 Kbps
    Encoded date : UTC 2012-01-03 18:49:21

Video
    ID : 1
    Format : DIVX
    Codec ID : DIVX
    Duration : 3h 21mn
    Bit rate : 617 Kbps
    Width : 720 pixels
    Height : 304 pixels
    Display aspect ratio : 2.35:1
    Frame rate mode : Constant
    Frame rate : 25.000 fps
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.113
    Stream size : 890 MiB (31%)
    Encoded date : UTC 2012-01-03 12:55:43
    Color primaries : BT.709-2, SMPTE 274M, SMPTE 296M
    Transfer characteristics : BT.709-2, SMPTE 170M, SMPTE 274M, SMPTE 293M, SMPTE 296M
    Matrix coefficients : BT.470-4 System B, BT.470-4 System G, BT.601-4, SMPTE 170M, SMPTE 293M

Audio
    ID : 8
    Format : PCM
    Format settings, Endianness : Big
    Format settings, Sign : Signed
    Codec ID : twos
    Bit rate mode : Constant
    Bit rate : 1 536 Kbps
    Channel(s) : 2 channels
    Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz
    Bit depth : 16 bits
    Stream size : 1.90 GiB (69%)

Text
    ID : 7
    Format : Apple text
    Codec ID : text
    Bit rate mode : Variable
    Bit rate : 1 bps
    Stream size : 699 Bytes (0%)
    Material_Duration : 7454415
    Material_StreamSize : 699

I noticed that it says that the frame rate mode is constant, and the frame rate is 25 (Pal).

Hmm.

Something else that was strange that I noticed. When I play the file in quicktime, it's fine, but VLC, which normally plays just about everything, doesn't playback the audio. I've never noticed that before.
    Quote Quote  
  6. After being reencoded at 25fps, is the audio out of synch by the same amount all the way through, or does it get worse (more out of synch) as the movie goes along?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Hi Manono,

I'll have to get back to you after I have completely re-encoded the whole file, as before I was just testing the first five minutes.

Baz.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Unless mediainfo is incorrect, it's already mpeg4asp (divx) , you can probably re-wrap it with ffmpeg into avi container a lot faster than re-encoding, with no quality loss

But you might have encode the audio to PCM WAV

ffmpeg -i input.mov -vcodec copy -acodec pcm_s16le output.avi
    Quote Quote  
  9. Too late, i've already done it!

In answer to the previous question:

The audio doesn't get progressively worse as the file goes on.

I was hoping for a simple solution, but I have the feeling that I've bitten off more than I can chew when I thought about trying to solve this problem.
    Quote Quote  
  10. To answer the question, for future reference either remux with the delay taken into account, or remove the delay entirely using DelayCut, before then remuxing.

To determine the amount of the delay I use MPC-HC and the +/- keys to adjust the delay on the fly so I can figure it out.
    Quote Quote  
  11. My mistake, I should have mentioned I use a Mac, so delaycut is of no use.

Can you point me in the right direction with regards to "remuxing"?

I assume you mean using ffmpegx to do this? Under the 'tools' tab, I only see 'mux' and 'demux', no 'remuxing'.

I have never done this, so I will need some basic tutoring.
    Quote Quote  
  12. I don't use Macs so I have no idea. Remuxing is the same as muxing. If ffmpegx allows for setting a delay when muxing, do it that way then. Since the source file plays fine and when converted it's out of synch, I'm guessing the source file already has a delay set.

Otherwise, since the audio is PCM, if you have the use of a WAV editor you can either add silence or remove audio from the beginning to get rid of the delay.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I usually consider remuxing = demuxing + muxing again.

Notice that the audio in the source is BIG ENDIAN. That is NOT the way LPCM WAV files store their samples (they use LITTLE ENDIAN), so one will have to do a byte swap in order for it to play correctly (remember, this was created on a Mac). Without this being done (at least SOMEWHERE in the software), what you'll hear will be very annoying static.

One way to convert this would be to use QT Pro. Their export-to-wav feature automatically includes a byte swap to little endian. (Plus, it might help fix the sync issue).

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    I usually consider remuxing = demuxing + muxing again.
    Hehe, I was using it slightly differently. He had already muxed once. I was suggesting either setting a delay in the muxer or fixing the delay in a WAV editor, and then remuxing (muxing again). But maybe the Big Endian/Little Endian stuff is the fix.
    Quote Quote  
  15. i was talking about using command line ffmpeg , open up a terminal in mac (you need a mac ffmpeg binary)
    http://guides.macrumors.com/Terminal

I assumed you knew how because you mentioned using mencoder

the command line above will convert to little endian , that' s what the "le" is for in "-acodec pcm_s16le"

if your previous conversion works, but only problem is constant sync offset, it might be easier for you to shift the audio . You can do that with avidemux
    Quote Quote  
  16. OK, all I know is that I now split the audio & video into two seperate files.

I assume I have to mux these two together in ffmpegx.

But there is no sync offset control when you use the mux option in ffmpegx. Also, there is no option to preview what you are encoding to see if you need to change the sync.
    Quote Quote  
  17. avidemux has a preview (assuming you want to fix what you have now , after the fact)

video=>copy
    audio=> copy
    format=> avi

under the shift box, under audio, enter the +/- ms shift value

you could probably use mpegstreamclip to encode to xvid, but again, IMO all these are suboptimal because you are re-encoding the video (losing quality and wasting time - it's much faster to re-wrap if you were starting from scratch)
    Quote Quote  
  18. What shall I do?

Are you saying "re-wrapping" the quicktime file using the ffmpeg application is going to fix the sync issue?

I realize the above application is command-line based. I have never used the terminal on my Mac before, so I will probably need some help.

I should point out that I was using an audio editor on my Mac to edit and save the original AVI file as a quicktime file.
    Saving as a quicktime file on this editor was the only option, as there was no AVI choice.
    Also, there was an option to apply compression to the file, aswell as saving it as a quicktime file. I left it default (none).
    There were other options in the list, such as 'Apple Lossless', 'Big Endian' etc.
    Quote Quote  
  19. No, I'm saying it's probably easier just to fix what you have with avidemux , because it's only a constant sync issue (ie. just shift the audio relative to video)

And why would you even want AVI on a mac in the first place ?
    Quote Quote  
  20. Right, i'll give avidemux a try, and i'll let you know how I got on.

Why AVI?

because it's everywhere, like mp3.

Most video files I come across are in this format, it works on just about every media player out there, it does what it says on the tin, as they say.

AVI also works in the majority of standalone DVD players, unlike MKV.

I'm assuming, file-wise, that you feel there are better formats to use for watching video filers on a computer?

it's a no-frills format that does the job, really. And that's good for me.
    Quote Quote  
  21. yes that's a good reason, for standalone compatibility

mov is more compatible with macs, but can cause problems with pc's (MOV is an Apple format) . AVI is more compatible with PC's but can cause problems with macs (AVI is a microsoft video for windows format)
    Quote Quote