VideoHelp Forum

Poll: Which optical drive brand do you prefer?

+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I usually use liteon and lg for burning and sony and philips for viewing.Thanks to P.J. for the poll.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    depend really...for dvd's burning they all do pretty good...before Pioneer changed their chipset i'd say they were the absolute best IMO...NEC and Sony/Optiarc (NEC also) are pretty good also...Lite-On is ok but they have a major drawback in that don't last very long...I'm on my 3rd Lite-on in 3 years...I'm still on my Pioneer 116.

For BR that's a different story...too new a technology to say atm who's better than the rest
    Quote Quote  
  3. The last 4 I've bought have been Liteon or LG, two of each. Not from any particular preference, it's just that Newegg always has a promo for one or the other when I'm in the market.

No complaints.

Maybe Kerry will chime in and tell us what they like currently at CDFreaks.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Used to get mostly Pioneers for burning DVDs; never disappointed, but last year got an LG (HL, actually, which I guess ultimately stands for Hitachi Lucky Goldstar) Blu-ray burner. No complaints so far.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    Hey fritzi
    Current favorites at MyCE for dvd burners include the Optiarc 7240/7260 line. The 7280 uses the joint venture chipset from NEC and Renesas, and shows to be a Renesas in the drive, but seems to be a continuation of the NEC chipset found in the earlier 72xx series.

Another good one that is virtually impossible to find outside of NCIX Canada is the Samsung SH-S243. And the Lite-on folks seem to like the iHAS x24B series, but I'm not a fan of Lite-on personally, so I don't keep up with them.

For blu ray, most of us recommend the LG and Pioneer drives. The Pio 206 has been recommended for quite a while now, but can't seem to match the LG's in price. Of course the Lite-on die hards still go with their brand, and to tell the truth, they've gotten much better than the earlier Lite-on BD burners. Can't really go too wrong with any of the three brands right now if shopping for a blu ray burner.

Edit: Corrected misspelling that was driving me nuts.
    Last edited by Kerry56; 2nd Jan 2012 at 19:59.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Kerry56...What are the PIF scans like on the Pioneer 206? can you post a link of any at cdfreaks?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    Here is a thread dedicated to scanning results with the 206: http://club.myce.com/f142/pioneer-bdr-206-s06j-s06xl-315575/
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    thanks Kerry56...exactly what I was lookin for
    Quote Quote  
  9. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I have several brands of DVD burners, Sony, Benq, Asus, Pioneer, Lite-on and a few others. All of them work about the same. No real preference.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    LG for me. My original old 4040B is still going strong, and so is my 4167B, and so is my H58N. Bulletproof so far and all three support CDText(somewhat important for me).
    Quote Quote  
  11. Wow! thanks johns0, so many votes! That's why I love VideoHelp polls

@Moontrash: Yes, I bought a new Pioneer DVR-219LBK, seems it uses primera firmware. Is it better to flash it with pioneer firmware?

Thanks Kerry, very useful information

And thank to other for voting and posting your idea ^^
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Too bad you didn't include Optiarc. I have 2 & they will burn everything I've tried at an average 12x, both + and -. I also have a Samsung that only likes + discs. It burns + at about 10x and - discs at 4x. Needless to say I've relegated the Samsung to playback only. BTW, I've burned over 1000 discs and have not had 1 bad burn with the Optiarcs, but have with the Samsung.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    sony & optiarc are one in the same
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Isn't that like saying Toshiba & Samsung are the same?
    Quote Quote  
  15. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by dfisher052 View Post
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sony_Optiarc
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well, for me I still got my old dvd burners with the BENQ 1620's, 1640's & 1655's, PIONEER 111, 112, 115, 116, 212, 215, 216. LG drives can't remember the models cause I have so many darn dvd burners. SAMSUNG is my least favorite but they work so all is good. I have SONY/OPTIARC drive 7240 which the drive tray sticks at times. I do have a LG bluray-rom which hasn't failed me yet. All of my dvd burners use hacked firmware. My favorite is the old BENQ's and PIONEER's. Liteon drives don't last long so I haven't bought any lately. But I do use them for new computers that I build for others. My very first dvd burner was the Plextor 708 which IMHO was a great burner and I still have it sitting on my shelf. It reads scratch discs very well!
    Quote Quote  
  17. Originally Posted by dfisher052 View Post
    Somehow, TSST =/
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by budz View Post
    Well, for me I still got my old dvd burners with the BENQ 1620's, 1640's & 1655's, PIONEER 111, 112, 115, 116, 212, 215, 216. LG drives can't remember the models cause I have so many darn dvd burners. SAMSUNG is my least favorite but they work so all is good. I have SONY/OPTIARC drive 7240 which the drive tray sticks at times. I do have a LG bluray-rom which hasn't failed me yet. All of my dvd burners use hacked firmware. My favorite is the old BENQ's and PIONEER's. Liteon drives don't last long so I haven't bought any lately. But I do use them for new computers that I build for others. My very first dvd burner was the Plextor 708 which IMHO was a great burner and I still have it sitting on my shelf. It reads scratch discs very well!
    My first drive was also a Plex 708...Oct/Nov 2003. I still have it...it's dead but I can't let it go lol. The sturdiest drives I ever owned were a NEC 3520 and a Pioneer 112. The 112 did by far the most work with the 3520 not far behind. The Lite-on's I've had were great readers and scanners but as a burner they've been 2nd tier imo. They wear out fast. My Pionner 116 is still going and hope it continues as its the last in a line of the great Pioneer models before they went that route of a cheaper chipset. The newer models just aren't the same. Newest drive is as Asus (Lite-On rebrand). It does ok but I don't use it for much but playing dvd's in my HTPC
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    My very first dvd burner was PIONEER DVR104,DVR106,DVR-108,DVR-110,DVR-111
    Still have the 111 going strong
    LG drives Gsa-4163B LG clone Data Storage Gsa-H20L still working

In my i7 i have the PIONEER 218 all good drives
    and a LG BLU-RAY BURNER BH10LS30.
    Last edited by Bulldog57; 3rd Jan 2012 at 22:01.
    Bulldog57
    Quote Quote