VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. When someone else was asked to use the videocamera ( Sony DCR-DVD610), they never seemed to notice the blinking red 'disc' light or bothered to tell me. Even after I reminded them..? So, now I have many discs w/ no space to finalize. Will I ever be able to watch them on our TV? Do I have any options?

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    What are the capacity of these disk? Are they standard DVD5? (4.7GB approx) ?

You could probably use a tool like isobuster to get the files onto the PC. (Is it a typical video_ts folder ?)
    Then just write it to another DVD with Imgburn.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Another solution to recover the files from unfinalized discs is CDRoller.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Ok, there is a little bit of misinformation going on here.

"Finalizing" a DVD does a couple of things: Compiling and affixing the most recent resulting VIDEO_TS.IFO (for navigation purposes) and burning a "Lead-Out" track.

The length of spec DVDs are supposed to be at least 1GB, so in order for a DVD to be legit, if the title(s) is/are very short the lead out must fill out all the rest of the way to the 1GB mark. However, once the titles are over 1GB, the lead out can be VERY small. And space OUGHT to be reserved on the remaining media to facilitate adding the lead out, so this whole business of "not having enough room" is a red herring.
    Have you even tried to perform a finalize of these discs on the camera?

Note that I looked up your cam's user manual:
    The discs are 8cm discs, so have a max capacity of 1.36GiB (SL) or 2.47GiB(DL) per side.
    There was NOWHERE in the manual that states that after a Fast-Flashing of the red "slash disc" (=Full) icon that one could not still finalize. It does state that it can sometimes takes up to hours(?) to complete a finalization. Maybe you're just not waiting long enough.

However, if you are still having trouble (possibly of a different sort?), you would do best using a paid version of ISOBuster. Finalized or not, I haven't had a disc yet that I haven't been able to rip/copy to PC (not counting obviously bad media where there are gouges or flakes/holes in the media).

Scott
    Quote Quote