VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have a htpc connected to a receiver.
    For the video part the connection is : dvi->hdmi ->converter box->component
    The audio is a straight digital (optical) from the sound card to the receiver.
    The receiver is connected to an amplifier which outputs to a7.1 speaker configuration.

I get choppy sound from all the speakers and the sound is not coming from the right speakers. For example when I test the back left speaker I might have sound in the front 3 or something like that.
    The setting on the receiver shows stereo but I am not able to change it to mutichannel.

What am I doing wrong?
    Quote Quote  
  2. I should add that the soundcard supports 7.1
    It is a HT OMEGA, eClaro Sound Card, 7.1 channels, 24-bit 192KHz, PCIe x1, Full-height/Low-profile
    I also tried a digital optical connection from the motherboard ASUS, P6X58 to the receiver and got the same issue
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    what software are you using to play the files ?
    also I dont think you can get 7.1 over optical
    Last edited by garryward; 1st Jan 2012 at 12:57.
    CHEERS GARRY
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Optical digital connections support up to 5.1 audio. The only digital connection that can be used for 7.1 audio is HDMI.

[Edit]Your sound card outputs 8 channel audio via a D-Sub to 7.1-channel analog adapter. You need to connect that to the 7.1-channel audio inputs on your receiver.

[Edit 2]You will need to consult the manuals for your receiver and sound card to find out how to set up the analog connections.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 1st Jan 2012 at 15:38.
    Quote Quote  
  5. You again? You know everything! lol
    Interesting.. I'll do a bit of homework looking at the manuals I got and post back
    Thank you
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The only way to get digital HD audio is over HDMI cable. As DVI connections do not support an audio path you will need to upgrade your "DVI->HDMI" cable to "HDMI->HDMI" cable. Or use analog connections from the audio card to the amplifier/receiver in question. (Manufactures of 7.1 audio cards should make this abundantly clear I fell pray to this when 7.1 audio cards first began to appear on the market.)
    I'm not familiar with your audio card but of the 3 cards i have used I had to had to use 4-1/8 mini to RCA connections. There are various ways to make this connection.
    1. stereo 1/8 mini to RCA adapter connected to receiver via RCA cables.
    2. 1/8 mini to to RCA cable (imho the best method.)
    Murphy's law taught me everything I know.
    Quote Quote