VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Hi folks,

I am totally new to ripping and such. I went and bought 42 TB NAS and a new Dune player. My PC is a i5 2500k @4.6ghz, GTX580.

I started to rip my Blu Rays and DVDs with AnyDVD HD and Mymovies to ISO.

Now I'm pretty sure the speeds I am getting for ripping are wrong. I am getting 0.90 - 1.50mbs and a Blu Ray is taking like 6-7hours to rip and a DVD 3 hours. At this very moment my rip speed is 0.05mbs.....

I am a complete nablet when it comes to this so what am I doing wrong? I will be dead before I rip all my Blu Ray collection of 600 films at this speed lol.

Any help is welcomed

Cheers

Peter
    Quote Quote  
  2. First try uninstalling the Blu-Ray drive in Device Manager. (Your problem may be that you're in PIO mode.) Shut down, open the box and unplug then reseat the data cable at both ends. (Possible bad connection). Reboot.

Might as well try the easy stuff first. Good luck.

[EDIT] And welcome to the forum.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Hi thanks for the welcome and the reply.

I already unistalled and did all of that. What I did try was ripping direct to my hardrive instead of the NAS and the rip speed dramatically increased to 15mbs.

My PC hardrive doesn't have a lot of room so I want to rip directly to the NAS. What could be the problem here then?

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  4. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I'm assuming your NAS is connected via a Ethernet cable? Have you tried to just transfer a large file to the NAS from your PC and check the speed with that in the Windows dialog box? Most times I get about 80MB/s transfer speed, sometimes a little faster, to my video server PCs. That's with a gigabit LAN system with CAT5E wiring.

I tried ripping a BD to one of my video servers over the LAN a minute ago and the speed was about 8MB/s. Within my PC to one of my hard drives, about the same speed.

I would check your LAN adapter settings at the computer and the NAS.)

Here's a simple test program: http://www.totusoft.com/downloads.html The one at the bottom of the list (V1.1.7) doesn't need installing and deletes the files it uses for testing. It's freeware. I did this test with a 20MB file a couple of minutes ago.

Click image for larger version

Name:	test.jpg
Views:	819
Size:	67.1 KB
ID:	10316
    Last edited by redwudz; 1st Jan 2012 at 00:46.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    Hi there,

Thanks for the reply. The NAS is plugged in via ethernet cable to the router and my PC is in another room which has a wireless dongle. I will try the test soon as I get home and post it up.

Cheers
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    Ok my results
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	lan.jpg
Views:	773
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	10320  

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    @Peterpoose
    Run a test from your PC to the server, I, willing to bet the wireless is your bottleneck. What type of wirles connection are you using B, G, or N? N will be the fastest but doesn't begin compare to a wired gigabit connection.

For a movie server the i would not recommend a wireless connection especially if you plan to play 1080 P movies, even with a wireless N connection you probably will experience some stutter.
    Murphy's law taught me everything I know.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search PM
    I just have a ordinary router from SKY tv. What would I need to buy to make this better?

I plan on watching full quality Blu Rays from the server via my Dune player

How can I see what connection type I am using, sorry for the dumb questions
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search PM
    I just ripped a Blu Ray to my PC hardrive which was fast and now I am transferring it to the NAS, the speed is 2.20mbs.......very slow
    Quote Quote  
  10. Sounds like the wireless network is 802.11g. That's probably the bottleneck. Do you have good signal strength? Upgrade to 802.11n? Switch to wired?
    Last edited by jagabo; 1st Jan 2012 at 09:40.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search PM
    Signal strength isnt the greatest in the PC room.

What would i need to get a giga connection? I dont even know what that is.

Would buying a top end router solve it?

Can I connect the NAS via a cat 5 or 6 cable to my PC for ripping and transfering faster?
    Last edited by Peterpoose; 1st Jan 2012 at 12:47.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I would definitely go with a wired connection if at all possible. A gigabit LAN is 1000Mb/s. More common is 100Mb/s or the slower 10Mb/s. 100Mb/s is fast enough for most transfers, but gigabit cards and motherboards and switches and routers are fairly common at present. Actual speeds are slower than those listed. There is overhead, LAN traffic, controller speeds, etc., that slow it all down.

You don't really need a gigabit router, just a gigabit switch if you use a wired connection between your NAS and your PCs.

I haven't had a lot of luck with trying to stream HD video over any wireless connection. My laptop has a 'N' LAN adapter, but it's running at about 65Mb/s at present. It has ran as fast as 130Mb/s when the 'N' adapter was working correctly. Driver problems.

But here's a test from my laptop to the same server I used with my regular PC for the previous test:

Click image for larger version

Name:	lt.JPG
Views:	794
Size:	37.0 KB
ID:	10326

At those speeds, I am unable to view HD video on my laptop without dropouts and pauses, though the laptop is capable of displaying it through a wired LAN connection.

You could string a temporary CAT5E (Or CAT6) between your PC and your NAS just for ripping your files if it will work that way, but I doubt your wireless will work for HD viewing. I can rip BDs directly to my servers over the gigabit LAN, but I usually convert them to MKV, so I use my faster PC for that, then transfer the MKVs.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Just as a reference, using LAN Speed Test I get speeds around 700 to 800 Mbps over my gigabit network.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search PM
    Thanks for all the replies folks. Well I guess at least I know now it is my connection I need to sort out. Guess I get a professional in to set it all up.

Do they sell the items I need from Amazon or somewhere? Or any retailer in the UK?

Cheers Folks!
    Quote Quote  
  15. Setting up a LAN isn't very difficult. But we need to know what your requirements are. How many computers and other devices, which must be wireless, which can be wired, what speed ports do they have, what speed your current cable modem/router ports/wireless are.

It sounds like you have cable modem/router/switch with a NAS wired to it and a remote computer (maybe a few) connected wirelessly.
    Last edited by jagabo; 2nd Jan 2012 at 10:17.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Peterpoose View Post
    Is this the correct thing I need plus a cat 6 cable?
    I'm not familiar with that brand, but based on reviews that switch should suffice. Use the switch long with some cat5e cable or cat6 cable and your problem should be solved. Also be sure the computers in question support gigabit ethernet connections, if not you will need to purchase nic cards as well.
    Murphy's law taught me everything I know.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Yes that switch should be fine. Set it up like this:

Code:
    computer1 <-----cat6----->
    computer2 <-----cat6-----> switch <-----cat5-----> modem/router/switch
    NAS <-----------cat6----->
    My guess is your modem/router/switch is 10/100 and 802.11B/G. So you can use cat5 cable to connect it to the router. If it has 10/100/1000 ports you can connect the computers and NAS directly to it. Actually, I would try that first even if it only has 10/100 ports. That will still get you 80 to 90 Mb/s (10 to 12 MB/s).
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search PM
    Thanks for the replies folks, really appreciate it.

@Jagbo, yep you are correct. I have the NAS at the moment plugged into my router and my PC is wireless from a dongle. I did some research and I think from what I read I only need to get a gigabit switch and the cable for now and if I later on want to also get a gigabit router.

My PC has a gigabit card but Im not sure on the NAS or does the NAS even need one?

Thanks for the drawing Jagabo perfectly explained in lamen terms for me so I understand that now.

This is the switch I am going for, opinions?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B002P6OCWY/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&m=A1GA8K20GO6V5Q

I currently have 2 x PCs, PS3, WiFi Plasma.

What I want is to be able to rip and transfer 600 blu rays to my NAS a lot faster than it is now, 6 hours a blu ray to transfer to the NAS lol

Then once all is ripped I have bought a Dune HD Smart B1 to play the files from the NAS.

Im using AnyDVD HD and MyMovies.

Thanks once again all, you've have really helped me!
    Last edited by Peterpoose; 2nd Jan 2012 at 15:25.
    Quote Quote  
  19. That switch should be fine. I'm using one of these:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/TrendNet-8-Port-Gigabit-GREENnet-Switch/dp/B001QUA6RA/

I think I got it for US$25.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search PM
    Big Thanks guys!!!

I ordered the switch and 3 x cat 6 cable.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search PM
    Thanks all, I hope everything goes well now with it.

Couldn't have done it without you guys, so thank you!!!
    Quote Quote