VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I recently got a Pandigital Supernova android ereader/tablet. It has an hdmi out and I've been experimenting with it playing downloaded HDrips. Really like it so far.

To my understanding, it has a Samsung S5PV210 - Cortex Arm 8 processor (similar to the IPAD) and as such has limited hardware x264 720p codec playback capability (only MAIN profile decoding method supported- HIGH is not).
    The processor/GPU combo on these just aren't fast enough to process the 720p through software if the processor does not support that feature - i.e. x264 high profile. I've tried software mode in various players (mine came with U Player, tried Rock player and V Player) and it's typically very choppy (verifying I need the hardware support). I've heard similar issues exist with other processor sets (i.e nvidia Tegra pretty popular).

So far I've tried various x264 .mp4 rips to discover that it was the high profile that was causing the files not to play in hardware accelerated mode (using Rock Player).

The rips that were in high profile I converted to main profile using ImTOO MPEG Encoder (I ended up selected Apple TV H.264 HD video and set the bit rate to 2500 - as that was the original files were encoded at - resulted in the output file being similar in file size). With only this single conversion it didn't seem much noticeable quality was lost.

Anyway, to my actual question, I've used this same output format converting from various .MP4 x264 files (slightly diffferent bitrates and high profile levels), and have found a few of them won't play in Rock Player.

The converted ones that do play play fine, but the ones that do not give me the following error:
    "This File CAnnot Be Played with SYstem Player"
    if I try software mode I get the error "Cannot open FILENAME to play" (I've only gotten this error with converted files)

Wondering if anyone had any insight as to what may be the issue (maybe I need to use a different version of Rock Player - currently using 1.7.4).

Thanks!

-Matt
    Quote Quote  
  2. I tried another video player (v player) and it is showing the length of the movie being 00:00. Perhaps the index got messed up during conversion (perhaps there's any easy way to fix). - THanks
    Quote Quote  
  3. Audio? AC3 or MP3 vs DTS or HD audio.
    Quote Quote