VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have an Insignia Combo DVD/VHS Player/Recorder that only ejects when I try to record, so I've concluded it needs replacing.

I thought that would be simple... but naaaaa. I bought a Magnavox VHS-DVD Combo player/recorder and could NOT connect the thing. I had an extra cable to connect it with no jack on the new Magnavox to connect it to... I had the "Ant. In" but am missing a jack called "RF Out".
    I have Cox Cable and the wires connect the Cable's DVR Box through my old Insignia Combo DVD/VHS Player/Recorder and through the Digital TV so that I have been able to save recorded shows on the DVR [up to 50 hrs] and then copy programs off the DRV and onto the VHS tapes to keep. For years this has gone well. Now I'm stumped.

I tried to google "Combo DVD/VCR Player/recorders" to buy and then tried to make sure it had enough connectors on the back to accommodate all my wires but the discussion re RF connections, etc. overwhelmed me.

I just want to buy a replacement machine for my machine and get on with copying programs off my Cox Cable DVR to free up more time. I need a compassionate member to guide me in that selection.

Thanks for all replies,
    AuntGail
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    This Magnavox model has Coax/RF in and Coax/RF out:http://www.walmart.com/ip/Sylvania-Dvd-Recorder-Vcr-Combo/11088889 I couldn't find a full manual, at Magnavox's website, just a quick start guide, but it appears that the RF out most likely just passes the signal as received from the wall. It probably does not output video and audio on channel 3 or 4 when a tape or DVD is played.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    DVD recorders with coax connectors are VERY rare now. As an alternative, Circuit City and other places sell a device called an RF Modulator that can be used to convert between RF (coax) and other types of connectors. Whatever DVD recorder you buy, but it quickly. We had a post this week pointing out that Magnavox is leaving the North American marketplace for DVD recorders at the end of February and they are the last manufacturer still making them for the US and Canada.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Lost me here, "It probably does not output video and audio on channel 3 or 4 when a tape or DVD is played."

I have 3 component connectors
    VCR in
    Line1
    red O
    Audio
    white O
    Video
    yellow O

then
    Ant IN
    coaxil jack-screw on type

then
    RF out [to tv]
    coaxil jack-black pull off type

Would that unit have the same connectors?

AuntGail
    Quote Quote  
  5. Just bought from Amazon online:

"Magnavox ZV457MG9 Dual Deck DVD/VCR Recorder"
    Electronics; $178.00

Thank you for the help, I really appreciate it.

AuntGail
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by AuntGail View Post
    Lost me here, "It probably does not output video and audio on channel 3 or 4 when a tape or DVD is played."
    Think back to the old-fashioned VHS-only VCRs. Those could be connected to TVs that only had a coax connection, and when a tape was played, video and audio would be available on the TV's channel 3 or channel 4.

Originally Posted by AuntGail View Post
    I have 3 component connectors
    VCR in
    Line1
    red O
    Audio
    white O
    Video
    yellow O

then
    Ant IN
    coaxil jack-screw on type

then
    RF out [to tv]
    coaxil jack-black pull off type

Would that unit have the same connectors?

AuntGail
    The Magnavox ZV457MG9 has a Coax/RF in, that connects to an antenna or cable service. It also has a Coax/RF out to connect to either a TV or Cablebox/DVR, and allows the TV or Cablebox/DVR to tune channels just as if the Magnavox ZV457MG9 wasn't there at all.

The Magnavox ZV457MG9 has 2 sets of red-white-yellow inputs (one in front and one in back) for recording the audio and video output from other devices. It has one set of red-white-yellow outputs (in the back) to connect to a TV for watching a tape or DVD. By the way, the yellow connection is composite video, not component. The red and white ones are stereo audio.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 30th Dec 2011 at 17:56.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Thank you "usually quiet", I'm glad you didn't stay quiet this time.

Aunt Gail
    Quote Quote