VideoHelp Forum

Try DVDFab and download streaming video, copy, convert or make Blu-rays,DVDs! Download free trial !
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    I was reading the December issue of HD Video Pro magazine and there was an article on how Apple has changed their Final Cut editing software and not too many people like it.

I was also reading some online site and they were comparing all the different editing programs and they had Apple's new Final Cut X or whatever it's called listed at $400. They listed Sony Vegas Pro as $600.

I thought Final Cut Pro was a program used by a lot of film editors and serious editors, not a general public program. But if it's a professional program, why is it listed around $400?

I guess my question is - are we seeing the lowering of Final Cut Pro and will Sony Vegas overtake Final Cut Pro? What is going on with Final Cut Pro? What is Apple trying to do with it?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Apple decided to redo FCP in a way that makes it similar to Vegas. It's caused a huge stir in the professional community and has people using Avid and Premier more and more. The old FCP will still be used but Apple has stopped selling and supporting it. Apple is chasing the $$. There's no money in the Professional market anymore. I beleive they will stop making the mac Pro soon as well.

Very few professional editors, at least in the larger markets, use Vegas. But this may change? Who knows
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    There is no hierarchy. Each pro edit package is targeted at different user groups. Vegas is targeted at an independent one man band producer that wants a full set of tools. AVID is targeted at unionized "Hollywood" collaborative workflow. Adobe is based on a corporate collaborative media publishing work flow model.

The new FCP is being described as iMovie Pro which positions it more against Vegas but without support for DVD or Blu-Ray and has more limited codec support.

As Apple abandons the "high" end, AVID and Adobe are scrambling to convert current users. Both offer Mac and Windows versions. Vegas is Windows only.
    Last edited by edDV; 29th Dec 2011 at 18:39.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Apple's strategy has always been to simplify computing for the clueless, and at the same time, elevating their egos with marketing that reinforces how "cool" you are if you use a Mac.

The problem is, when you write software for Mac users, you have to thin it down or they get overwhelmed. This is the problem with FCP. It's a "thinned down" NLE marketed as a pro tool.

The consumer market is driving media now via YT, and a lot of the old fat bloated cash cows are goin' down.
    Last edited by budwzr; 30th Dec 2011 at 08:15.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Anyway, the quick answer to your question is: Yes!
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by budwzr View Post
    Apple's strategy has always been to simplify computing for the clueless, and at the same time, elevating their egos with marketing that reinforces how "cool" you are if you use a Mac.

I think you might be right.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Both DVDSP and FCP have been watered down with each successive version.
    The OS9 versions were harder to use, but also more feature-rich in some ways.

Apple has a bad habit of making tools dumber, instead of forcing users to get smarter.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Their coolness campaign tops the list of the world's greatest brainwashes.

And the sad part is that they HAD to do it to give their customers a way to save face, because a lot of snickering was coming down from the PC users.

And that was ingenious too. It protected the morale of the paying customers, and they could simply slip on a beanie, grow some dreadlocks, and become "artists". Too lofty and beyond reproach. And if you still laughed, they sneered "homophobe" at you.

Apple treats its customers like the corner liquor store guy that exaggerates how happy he is to see you, and tells you how great you are, so you'll keep coming back.

Hahaha, I should have been a lawyer, hahaha....whew!....LMFAO
    Last edited by budwzr; 30th Dec 2011 at 16:48.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Both DVDSP and FCP have been watered down with each successive version.
    Good you give some examples? Both Tools were fantastic until apple pulled the plug.

The OS9 versions were harder to use, but also more feature-rich in some ways.
    Again....coming from someone whos used both since the beginning, Im not aware what youre refering too specifically?

FCP Studio IS STILL the most used professional NLE in the world at the moment.....at least in the larger markets. This will obviously change now though and give that back to AVID

I mean, I not an Apple fan and cant stand OSX but have to give credit where its due.
    Last edited by videopoo; 6th Jan 2012 at 22:52.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by videopoo View Post
    FCP Studio IS STILL the most used professional NLE in the world at the moment.....at least in the larger markets.
    That's mostly because Avid got blindsided by a sudden surge in NLE technology, and underestimated the impact, not so much that FCP is "professional".

Avid got so far behind that editors jumped ship at the first chance they got. When Apple paid Walter Murch (the editing god) to endorse FCP, that was the spike through Avid's heart. Hahaha.

Apple didn't update FCP because the "pro users" base is mostly older editors with a technical approach to editing, that want to keep things as they are. FCPX is designed for the "new crop". The progressive new artists.

Another way to say it is that FCP is the newest type of blacksmith tool in a new world of automobiles.
    Last edited by budwzr; 7th Jan 2012 at 09:42.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by HoosierGuy View Post
    I was reading the December issue of HD Video Pro magazine and there was an article on how Apple has changed their Final Cut editing software and not too many people like it.
    They're grumbling because they thought they had a market locked cash cow.

When you get used to easy money just doing basic editing, and someone tries to raise the bar, you're gonna get a LOT of grumbling.
    Quote Quote  
  12. That's mostly because Avid got blindsided by a sudden surge in NLE technology, and underestimated the impact, not so much that FCP is "professional".
    Ok....whatever the reason, its a powerful editing tools used by most of the profesional editing world. Not that Apple somehow brainwashed us all into thinking thier products were best when they were actually not.

Avid got so far behind that editors jumped ship at the first chance they got. When Apple paid Walter Murch (the editing god) to endorse FCP, that was the spike through Avid's heart. Hahaha.
    I dont know how you know that but he's edited several films on FCP....along with the Cohen Bros and many more. I guess they'll all shills?

Apple didn't update FCP because the "pro users" base is mostly older editors with a technical approach to editing, that want to keep things as they are. FCPX is designed for the "new crop". The progressive new artists.
    What new crop? Ive never met a professional OR student editor who likes the new design

When you get used to easy money just doing basic editing, and someone tries to raise the bar, you're gonna get a LOT of grumbling.
    Huh? Easy Money? I Take it, you dont edit for a living?
    Last edited by videopoo; 7th Jan 2012 at 21:23.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
    Both DVDSP and FCP have been watered down with each successive version.
    Is DVDSP dead or what FCPX is using to make DVD now ?
    Quote Quote  
  14. Is DVDSP dead or what FCPX is using to make DVD now ?
    FCPX has a share function to spit out a DVD....no menus. Really lame.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Murch didn't know he was shilling That's the slick part. Apple needed an old Hollywood fart to sell the rest of 'em. He finally got his 15 minutes.

That Steve Jobs was too damn slick. Shoulda been a banker.
    Last edited by budwzr; 7th Jan 2012 at 22:05.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Murch didn't know he was shilling That's the slick part. Apple needed an old Hollywood fart to sell the rest of 'em. He finally got his 15 minutes.

That Steve Jobs was too damn slick. Shoulda been a banker.
    Yeah.....I agree

Sucks Apple let it go....FCP 7 was a damn good editing suite.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    And Lightworks? Where does everyone see that fitting in? If at all.
    Matters of great concern should be taken lightly.
    Matters of small concern should be taken seriously.
    Quote Quote