VideoHelp Forum
Closed Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've read quite a few threads in here and elsewhere and haven't really found the answer I was looking for. I've decided I will be backing up a lot of basic data as "data" on empty Blu Ray discs but the only really complete guide I can find on burning Blu Ray's is for Video's (BDMV etc..).

I'm wondering, is it gonna be possible for me to just create a basic ISO with all the data I have (under 23.3 gb's) and burn it with Imgburn? In Imgburn will I have to change the UDF(2.50) settings for it since it's not a Video Disc? These discs will obviously not be played in a Blu Ray player so I'm not worried about compatibility. I've noticed the drag-n-drop capability of Imgburn but I think thats for BDMV and certificate folders only (Video).

I've noticed a few threads around that say "Windows" has it's own built-in feature that let's you burn Blu Ray data through Explorer. What apps other than Imgburn are successful in doing Blu Ray data burns? Imgburn is obviously the preferred "Video" method but data is another story...any ideas/suggestions?

Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Moontrash View Post
    Imgburn is obviously the preferred "Video" method but data is another story.
    Why? I use ImgBurn for reading/writing data, too.

CDBurnerXP is another choice: http://cdburnerxp.se/en/home
    I use that one for data, on a few computers.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS

3. You don't have to create an ISO, use write files/folders to disc in ImgBurn. Drag and drop or copy/paste. Don't worry about changing disc format from UDF 2.5, it will burn and read fine on your computer.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!

4. Why backup to BlueRay disks anyway? Who knows how long a blueray disk will last or what hardware can read them in 20 years? Backup to a external drive. If important data then backup to two external drives. I propose that Hard drives will be around long after Blue ray is dead and you will be using Holographic drives or SSD's or some other unheard of technology yet to be discovered.

5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    thanks for the input guys...much appreciated

Smurf, have u done any error/PIF scanning on Blu Rays? How did they turn out after using CdBurnerXp etc

Thanks for the simple tutorial fritzi93. That UDF 2.50 set I assumed was for all BR discs, not just "Video" discs. Had no idea it wasn't necessary for reading these BR discs on a PC.

My main goal is to pack in 5 to 6 dvd-5's worth of data on 1 BR and save a whole lotta space

Why backup to BlueRay disks anyway
    Because I have no luck with hdd's. I mean 0. I just tossed 6 in the garbage after I wrecked em. Some were used heavy and some weren't. On top of that, seen the hdd prices lately? lol..They ain't comin down anytime soon.

Search Comp PM
    I often store MPeg2 TS TV capture files to Blu-Ray without authoring. These play directly on my Sony BD player or on computers with BD drives.

Others I just store to the NAS and play back off the net.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about

7. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I store my BD>MKV conversions on BD 25 discs as data for backup purposes, same with DVD>MKV conversions. (In case of HDD failure on my server) Works with no problems. I also use ImgBurn for that. The Verbatim BD discs I use are actually cheaper per MB of storage than the VB DVD DL discs.

Be aware that a 25GB BD disc only holds about 23.3GB of data, so size your files accordingly for the best fit.

8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    yeah I noticed when I started thinking about doing this that the price per disc was equal or cheaper in some cases to blank dvd's....for instance...lets say u can store up to maybe....6 not completely full dvd5's to a BD-25...the average cost per blank dvd when I was gettin em was around 28 to 33 cents a piece...a new Verbatim BD-25 at amazon right now for a 10 pack is $17...do the math and putting 6 on 1 vs. 6 on 6 blank dvd's is about the same cost..the only difference...less discs to use...that's pretty much why I started to head in this direction.

Plus since I built this HTPC I knew I was pretty much gonna be watching almost everything using it so trying this method was a no brainer. Just pop in whatever I want into the BD drive and voila!!!! Now all I can hope for is that this burgeoning BR burning and these new writable discs will last. Dvd's have spoiled us all I think.

9. This thread is old but it needs some conclusion

blu-ray has advantages. it has that anti scratch coating. IE much more durable than DVD-R

25gigs. 25gigs!

you can get them for around 50cents a pop now onsale as for future proofing. your HARD DRIVE needs a connection. probably usb. so for $30 include a slim usb bluray DRIVE with your backups. then you don't have to worry "can I read these" in 20 years. the drive to read them will be in the same place as the discs.

10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by nerys View Post
    This thread is old but it needs some conclusion

blu-ray has advantages. it has that anti scratch coating. IE much more durable than DVD-R

25gigs. 25gigs!

you can get them for around 50cents a pop now onsale as for future proofing. your HARD DRIVE needs a connection. probably usb. so for $30 include a slim usb bluray DRIVE with your backups. then you don't have to worry "can I read these" in 20 years. the drive to read them will be in the same place as the discs.
    People who dig up a five-year old thread to add their two cents rarely have anything worthwhile to to say, and your post is no exception.

50-cent BD-R is not archival quality. Cheap BD-R media can loose data integrity after only a few years and often fails to burn properly. Verbatim BD-R ($1 each) burns great, but it isn't archival either, especially their LTH media. Panasonic BD-R ($1.60 each) and M-Disc BD-R ($4.50 each) are the only BD media that actually have passed any third-party tests for long-term stability.

http://club.myce.com/f33/french-study-bd-r-archival-329441/
    http://www.mdisc.com/uploads/M-DISC_1sheet_ChinaLake_vF.pdf

What makes you think that a cheap USB optical drive will still work after 20 years? $30 external slim BD drives are crap to begin with and USB may not even exist by then.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 24th Mar 2015 at 08:50. Reason: typo

11. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    People who digs up a five-year old thread to add their two cents rarely have anything worthwhile to to say, and your post is no exception.
    Guess he got bored and didn't have anything better to do. Yea for us. Not really.

What makes you think that a cheap USB optical drive will still work after 20 years? $30 external slim BD drives are crap to begin with and USB may not even exist by then.
    Putting on my IT professional hat, actually I think the odds are pretty good that USB will still be around in 20 years or it won't be that difficult to find ways to support devices that used it. It may be USB 9 by then, but it may be around. We can still get floppy disk drives via USB and that technology is over 20 years old now. I checked Newegg and they have several USB floppy disk drives available. I'm not worried that in 20 years I won't be able to read any optical discs from CD to DVD to BD. Whether a cheap optical drive still works in 20 years is a valid point, but I'm not worried that there won't be a way to read those discs in 20 years one way or another.

Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jman98 View Post
    Whether a cheap optical drive still works in 20 years is a valid point, but I'm not worried that there won't be a way to read those discs in 20 years one way or another.
    Indeed. My BD-writer beckons with an "M" in front and digging up, came here http://www.mdisc.com/. I'm ordering some but it'll be hard to kind of test to see if it will last a thousand years
    For the nth time, with the possible exception of certain Intel processors, I don't have/ever owned anything whose name starts with "i".

13. Banned
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by TreeTops View Post
    Why backup to BlueRay disks anyway? Who knows how long a blueray disk will last or what hardware can read them in 20 years?
    Because it is a great source of archiving!

The best archiving strategy is to put data on more than one type of media and to spread copies at separate locations.

Archiving important data on blu-ray M-disks is a very good option in the scheme of things.

14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by newpball View Post
    Why backup to BlueRay disks anyway? Who knows how long a blueray disk will last or what hardware can read them in 20 years?

The best archiving strategy is to put data on more than one type of media and to spread copies at separate locations.

Archiving important data on blu-ray M-disks is a very good option in the scheme of things.

A grave-robber revived this thread this morning. The post you are replying to is 5 years old.

15. Banned
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by newpball View Post

A grave-robber revived this thread this morning. The post you are replying to is 5 years old.
    Ah yes, but your and my replies are as fresh as a daisy!

16. i never ever join web pages or join threads , but after reading some comments on here and people calling others out as dumb for there own data back up systems or set ups i just had to say CHILL YOUR BEANS lol and personally any one who thinks storing terabits of precious data in one place onto a hard drive or huge flash memory for future use is the answer is as thoughtless as his/her responses on this thread .. A hard drive can fail at anytime , is vulnerable to data loss through straight up mechanical failure , electronic interference , surges and static ect , damage from knocks or manhandling or from children etc , even from other elements like moisture and weather like lightning . Anyone who stores all there data in one place is not as clever as they believe.. I also agree that burning to disk is a way better solution , u can burn two discs for double protection , in the futer u can reburn a disc if u feel time might prevent data loss ( i do this with my emulation and my 1350+ and counting remixes and tunes i have created .. dvds are far more durable then a hard drive or weak flash stick .. and the cost to replace a dvd is peanuts . And if one disc happens to fail before u re burn it , I would rather loose one disc of data then all my data ... AND BOTTOM LINE IF SOMEONE HAS A DIFFERENT APPROACH TO YOURS THATS CALLED FREEDOM OF CHOICE , AND THEY SHOULDN'T NEED SPEAKING DOWN TOO OR FEEL THE NEED TO DEFEND THERE CHOICES WITH STRANGERS . and another thing ?? if im after a certain peice of data i can get this from a certain cd ,, the hard drive back up option means the chances of risking all your data every time just to want to grab files ps MY CRAZY GIRLFRIEND ON A RAMPAGE ONCE BENT ONE OF MY DATA DISCS IN HALF LIKE A TACO AND AFTERWARDS THE DISK STILL WORKED .. NO HARD DRIVE WOULD SURVIVE HER WRATH WHEN ANGRY ,, another reason for dvd backup , So again the hard drive massive archiving system is a fail again ... and if im not mistaken the data is already on a hard drive in the 1st place , And who hasn't had to replace hard drives and usb sticks from failures in there lifetime .. DISC BACK UP SPREADING OUT THE DATA IS SAFER AND ACCESSING ONLY THE DATA U NEED DOESN'T EXPOSE ALL YOUR OTHER DATA TO RISKS WHEN RETRIEVING IN THE FUTURE LIKE ON HARD DRIVES AND FLASH MEMORY ... SO chill your beans hey and think on peace ((I CAME ACROSS THIS THREAD AS IM RESEARCHING BLUE RAY BURNERS A DATA DISC BACKUPS .. BECAUSE I VALUE MY DATA)) IF ANYTHING WHY NOT DO BOTH FORMS OF STORAGE AND ''CHILL YOUR BEANS'' lol
    Last edited by chill your beans; 16th Dec 2019 at 23:23. Reason: spelling mistakes

17. im reading this thread going on 2020 and found the later input rather usefull and again people can comment on what they like ,, and if u dont like it u can keep your opinions to yourself, u do not own the internet and you do not speak for everyone ..... BUT NEVER BUY CHEAP BLANK MEDIA TO BURN ON TO .. THE FEW DOLLARS MORE FOR TOP END BLANK MEDIA IS WELL WORTH THE PROTECTION OF YOUR DATA
    Last edited by chill your beans; 16th Dec 2019 at 23:28.