VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hows it going everyone, and happy holidays to all. I'm hoping you can help me out here.

Small background:

Just like my name says, i am an old man, in a new world. For years ive been a massive tech junkie, but within the past 5 years or so, i havent been nearly as involved. Now when i look at the options out there, i feel a little lost. So forgive my lack of knowledge here. I have tried searching the forums as much as possible, but havent been able to get a definite answer.

What i am looking to do:

I would like to convert my old dvd collection into files to be kept on a big external hd i just bought, and plan to most frequently stream them through a playstation 3 to watch on my tv. At the moment i use ps3mediaserver to stream my movies, and havent had much issues.

(slightly unrelated, i find the ps3mediaserver is good when steaming avi movies, but kind of slow when streaming hd mkv files. other than a little delay when starting to play the mkv file, the movie plays okay, as long as i dont try to pause or fast forward the file. the only reason i brought this information up, is because maybe someone will know if i should be doing something different).

I will be converting a lot of dvds, and would like to do it as easily as possible, while still maintaining excellent quality. Those two things are my biggest requirements. I don't know if avi is the best output file to use, or mkv, or maybe something else. have i mentioned that i am slightly out the loop? hah. In all seriousness though, i would really appreciate your help on this matter.

other information:
    -The size of the final file is not too important, as i will be putting the files on a very big hard drive, but would still like to keep it reasonable and keep it between 1 - 2 gb. i have no problems with going a bit over though if it meets all those requirements.
    -Some of the dvds i will be converting will not be original dvds, and many of them will probably already have been compressed (ex a dvd9 that was compressed to fit on a dvd5). i dont know if this makes any difference, but the extra information wont hurt.
    -I would preferably like to do it all in one step (have a program that does all the steps in one shot, instead of ripping the dvd to a iso or into vob files, then converting those files, then joining the files back after, etc etc etc. like i mentioned before, i don't know what most people are using now, but when searching for answers to my questions on the forums, i did notice some people saying that they go through many steps like this. I would like to avoid that, and just find a program that will allow me to easily do the conversion.
    -Also, the dvds i will be converting will all be very different. Some NTSC, some PAL, some 4:3, some 16:9, some DTS, some ac3, etc etc. I would also hope that there is a program that can automatically handle all of those differences, and that doesn't require me to make changes in the conversion process for the differences
    -Lastly, it does not have to be freeware, or shareware. i have no problems investing a little money in a good product if there is one that can do everything.

i apologize in advance for writing so much, and i really want to thank you all in advance.

-Sincerely,
    The Old Man Lost In a New World
    Last edited by Baldrick; 25th Dec 2011 at 05:15. Reason: New title
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I changed the thread title so it better describes what you want.

As I don't have any experience with ps3 I'm not sure whats best. Maybe try convert to mp4 instead. Vidcoder is pretty easy and has batch conversion support..
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hello Old Man Lost In a New World (nice nick),

I have a PS3 for 3/4 years. Always use PMS and never get problem on stream.

For it, have a router gibabit in my house. All pcs (Dkstp or Nb) work flawless serving any movies, musics, photos for PS3.

No wireless or 100Mb connection, only gigabit will work with all MKV (Batman ~17gb, Avatar ~10gb, LOTR ~50gb) no delay, no subtitle problem, no artifacts, no pause...none.

My PC is a I5@3.66Ghz. Very nice to transcode files "on the fly" in higher bitrates.

If you really want convert all to HD, I agree Baldrick suggestion (VIDCODER). Make a PS3 profile (Look in the net about best profile "video + audio + subtitles" ) and convert all. Use MP4 container (max profile 4.0) for full compatibility with PS3

Claudio

Quote Quote  
  4. Thank you for changing the name Baldrick. I appreciate the help. And to Cauptain as well, the quick responses were great.

I have read quite a lot on here about vidcoder, and was about to download it to use, until i kept reading, and noticed more people talking about other options haha. It got me a little confused. I do use a 100mb connection though, so that may very well be whats slowing me down. I never even thought of that, thank you Cauptain. I will search over the next few days for a good deal on one.

The only point i should clear up though from your response, was when you said "if you really want to convert all to HD". I dont necessarily want to convert it to HD. I understand that if the original product was not HD, i cant magically make the converted file HD. I would just like to convert the DVDS into the same quality as it already is in.

Do you all think MKV is the best file type for that?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by OldManNewWorld View Post
    The only point i should clear up though from your response, was when you said "if you really want to convert all to HD". I dont necessarily want to convert it to HD. I understand that if the original product was not HD, i cant magically make the converted file HD. I would just like to convert the DVDS into the same quality as it already is in.

Do you all think MKV is the best file type for that?
    Sorry Old Man Lost In a New World , on my post is HD from Harddisk, not High Definition. My fault.

For my files use only MP4 (Perfect compatible with PS3 and various others devices (DVDs, BR, Tablets). MKV is more restrict.

In quality MKV = MP4 (because its just container only, same codecs, same configs, same audio types).

Claudio
    Last edited by Cauptain; 25th Dec 2011 at 10:13.
    Quote Quote  
  6. ohhhhh .. i got cha. hahaha (that old age must be kicking in lol). thanks for clearing it up.

well if everyone is in agreement, and no one can think of anything different, then i think i will begin using vidcoder this week. thank you for all your help Claudio
    Quote Quote