VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. http://www.raspberrypi.org/

From Wikipedia:

The Raspberry Pi is a single-board computer developed by the Raspberry Pi Foundation. Scheduled for public release in December 2011, the foundation plans to release two versions that range from US$25 to $35 (GBP £16 to £22). It is intended to stimulate the teaching of basic computer science in schools.

The design includes an ARM1176JZF-S 700 MHz processor, 128 or 256 megabytes (MiB) of memory, intended to run Linux or RISC OS. The design does not include a built-in hard disk or solid-state drive, instead relying on an SD card for long-term storage.
    Athough it was originally conceived as a cheap educational tool, the Raspberry PI may just have enough muscle to be used as an affordable networked HTPC.

The sum it up, it's basically a minature ARM based PC with HDMI out, Ethernet ($35 model only), 2 USB ports and enough GPU hardware to play 1080p HD video.

Last edited by mh2360; 23rd Dec 2011 at 09:38.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Boy if it had more ram it might just do in a pinch.

Though I do have a wdtv gen 1 and a ps3 and xbox 360 and a dual core pc in my living room so I really DON'T need this little toy.

And being here in the US shipping costs would probably pretty much wipe out any potential savings compared to picking up an extra wdtv or boxee or whatever.

Neat idea though.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  3. It may look pretty weak by today's standards, but not so long ago people were running Windows XP on systems with less power than this thing.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    The device has a lot of possibilities. Would be fun to play with.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I just hope international shipment wont cost too much to kill the mood.^^
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    And the best thing is that you can run Linux on this!
    Actually Windows is not possible because it is not supported by the ARM processor.

It would be a great toy for home automation, robotics and of cource HTPC projects.
    It is tiny sized and can be built in and hidden somewhere.
    The power consumption is very low (it is mobile phone hardware) so it can be battery powered or powered by an USB port on your TV.
    I will definitely try to buy at least one of this things. The shipping cost to Sweden is probably acceptable.
    Maybe I buy 5 units or so to share with some friends to get lower shipping cost per unit...
    Ronny
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Looks fun...
    Quote Quote  
  8. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    With any luck, maybe one of the US hobby robotics sites will import some. I see some of the project people will be at the CES meet at Las Vegas next week at the Broadcom booth. They might be interesting to talk to if anyone is around there.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Update ..........

Website says will start selling the end of Feb 2012

When can I buy one?

We are hoping to have the Raspberry Pi available to order at the end of February 2012. The initial production run will be 10 000 uncased development-style boards with further productions runs starting once these have been sold.
    Where can I buy one?

The Raspi will initially only be available to purchase through raspberrypi.com –if you sign up to the mailing list on the front page you’ll be notified as soon as we’re ready to start shipping.

http://www.raspberrypi.org/faqs
    Quote Quote  
  10. It does look a step up from my Heathkit 6800 trainer. But if Rasperry Pi is too big for you, consider Teensy.
    Quote Quote