VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i have imgburn and have had serious problems getting a dvd to play in a newer blue ray dvd player that is supposed to play most all dvd you put in it............
    now the file i have is a downloaded (zzzzzz.iso file where z is the name of the movie) and there are no other files other than this one
    if i use imgburn to burn this to the dvd or if i use the win 7 burner to the dvd neither will work on the player but it will work on the xbox

again how do i get it to burn properly?
    what am i doing wrong?
    before i turn these discs into coasters as they say

thanks for any and all help
    happy holidays to all

Edison
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    play a download iso?
    Last edited by edDV; 23rd Dec 2011 at 00:17.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    @ edDV " play a download iso? " i didnt quite understand what you are asking
    i have other .iso files that i used imgburn to burn to a dvd on my laptop and i can play it on the home dvd player
    but certain .iso files after i burn them are not playing on the home player
    and all of them work on the xbox 360 and or the laptop
    what i am trying to do is to get them to work on the home player as my brother would like to have some of these old documentaries
    and i want to make sure they play on the home player and not need an xbox or computer to play them on
    so in short i think i am missing something as i am not familiar with imgburn all that much and not familiar with these files and what i need to do or the procedure to follow to make these files playable in the home dvd player

again thanks
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You may be burning the ISO as a data file.

In Imgburn, use MODE menu, choose WRITE (not BUILD) and then select the ISO.
    That should use it as a disc image.
    Quote Quote  
  5. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    EdJr-in the future please use a more descriptive subject title in your posts to allow others to search for similar topics. I will change yours this time.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    sorry it took me long to respond

thanks for all the help

sorry about incorrectly posting in the description

this is all new to me and i am full of questions while i learn as i struggle

i will say i have a core i7 system with 8 gb ram and 1 tb drive with a 2gb video card
    and i have IMGBURN - LIGHTSCRIBE - VSO CONVERTXTODVD4

and i will update my profile now so that you will know exactly what i am working with

thanks again
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Look, if I had a bought DVD of say, "Dr. Strangelove", and I decrypted + ripped it to a disc image, it is now an ISO. Re-burning this iso brings it back to a DVD-Video disc, a disc which was designed, encoded and authored to work in all kinds of players (specifically settop DVD players, but obviously lots of other kinds).

If a had a DivX download of the same "Dr. Strangelove", and I added it to an ISO filesystem (either through burning+imaging, or through direct injection via UltraISO,etc), then when I burn this ISO to disc, I get a disc which has a DivX file on it.
    That Divx file will work on PCs that have the DivX codec, and on those settops (Xbox?) that have built-in support for DivX, but NOT on generic DVD players (because they DON'T have built-in support for it).

This is all still assuming you have correctly burned the ISO as an image and not as a data file (which would be worse)...

Scott

edit: IOW, you may be asking too much of your settop player...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    open the disc with explorer and tell us what is in the disc. folders and files. use mediainfo in text mode on a large file and copy/paste the results here.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Complete name : I:\Bonnie_And_Clyde_(1967)\bonnie.and.clyde.iso
    Format : ISO 9660
    File size : 4.03 GiB

@aedipuss this is the info as requested
    and i will say this that i took the time to read all the material on imgburn and followed all the directions pertaining to this iso
    and have burned a disc but since i was doing 3 things at once (learning and setting up imgburn and convertxtodvd) took me 4 hours
    everyone is asleep and n the living room as i have guests till after january but i will find out tomorrow if the DVD with the iso format burned correctly
    on the dvd to playback on the living room dvd player or standalone as you may call it

my old computer died so i went out and got a new one and just getting to all emails after setting up this laptop and dl all the programs and keys and stuff as you all know how long all this takes after updates and all

@ cornucopia ---- thanks for the advice and i think that might have been the problem so i read through everything for imgburn and followed all instructions but again will find out tomorrow

i will post if all is good or not and i really really cant say enough thank you to all you folks to give me advice
    really great people in a forum that i am finally enjoying actual participation in

thanks everyone and i will keep all updated in a few days as i am also now burning an avi file w/convertxtodvd to make a dvd for the home player from a video ts file and see if this works as well

take care all and thanks a million
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I believe smartel is suggesting you show us the output of the iso as shown in ISOBuster (which it can do very well), vs. using ISOBuster to burn (which it can't do at all).

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    @ cornucopia i dl the isobuster and followed instructions and this is what it spat out so i copied and pasted it : Complete name : I:\Bonnie_And_Clyde_(1967)\bonnie.and.clyde.iso
    Format : ISO 9660
    File size : 4.03 GiB

and i did not use isobuster to burn anything ............isobuster asked for location of iso file and i did as asked and it took the info and that was the result ................i did not use anything to burn ..........that movie file was dl as an iso file and is an iso file in its location as pointed
    Quote Quote  
  12. An ISO file is simply a disk image. Whether it is, or is not, an image of a valid, settop-compatible DVD video disk, is what has yet to be determined. Nothing posted so far has answered this question.

Information on the type of video contained in the file, and it's encoding parameters, is what will solve the issue.

It is very difficult, though not impossible, to screw up the burn of an ISO with IMGBURN. It is quite common for someone to post an iso file for download that is either a screwed-up DVD video, or is video of a type that is not compatible with most DVD players.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    also regarding the iso files ............where i dl the files from they come as an iso file and me being the newb that i am maybe i am not explaining myself in the correct fashion .......i do not create the iso file i dl them and tried burning to disk using imgburn and thats where some work on home dvd players and some dont and only now with the isobuster can i see the specfics of the iso file ......before isobuster i could only see that it was an image file through windows in a visual sense with a windows description of the file just so everyone is understanding my newbie description.....my apologies
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    @ nelson iam starting to agree with you because i checked media and ts not media i have gone through the burners and even bought a new one and all is working in fine order and i checked the imgburn software and followed instructions and i also have the purchased vso convertxtodvd4 and all seem ok and now i am questioning the iso files that i am dl and wonder if they are solid dl or badly put together iso files

as you said -----Information on the type of video contained in the file, and it's encoding parameters, is what will solve the issue.
    what would be recomended i do to make sure that the video contained in the file is proper for me to burn that would work on home dvd players ???

thanks for any suggestions
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Yeah, well you STILL haven't been very clear/up-front with us about these contents.

Let's make this a little easier...
    If you open the ISO FILE in ISOBuster, it will most likely look like one of these 3 images:

1. Blu-ray disc / AVCHD disc

Click image for larger version

Name:	DiscImage-BD.gif
Views:	273
Size:	4.6 KB
ID:	10471

2. DVD-Video disc

Name:	DiscImage-DVD.gif
Views:	274
Size:	4.6 KB
ID:	10472

3. Data disc (with various video files contained)

Name:	DiscImage-DataDisc.gif
Views:	262
Size:	4.3 KB
ID:	10473

Which one does it look closest to?

Scott
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by EdJr View Post
    as you said -----Information on the type of video contained in the file, and it's encoding parameters, is what will solve the issue.
    what would be recomended i do to make sure that the video contained in the file is proper for me to burn that would work on home dvd players ???

thanks for any suggestions
    VLC can open and play a DVD ISO file as if it were burnt to a disc.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    mount the image with virtualclonedrive and use mediainfo to see what it is
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM

Name:	iso buster 1.PNG
Views:	326
Size:	96.7 KB
ID:	10474

here is the image using iso buster for info
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    finally figured how to work isobusterand figured out what you folks wanted to look at thanks again
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    this is the one image that i tried to burn to various disks that actually my brother wants and i cant get it to work on any player and cant figure out what i am doing wrong

Name:	senna capture.PNG
Views:	264
Size:	120.1 KB
ID:	10475
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by EdJr View Post
    this is the one image that i tried to burn to various disks that actually my brother wants and i cant get it to work on any player and cant figure out what i am doing wrong
    Looks like an ISO of a standard DVD fileset. So as I said:
    In Imgburn, use MODE menu, choose WRITE (not BUILD) and then select the ISO.
    That should use it as a disc image.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    @ alanhk.......i did use imgburn and did choose write not build and did select both iso files shown above to go onto 2 seperate blank dvd's and they both dont work on 3 different dvd home players in my home..............

i dont understand what i am doing wrong or missing in setting up imgburn to work correctly or could these iso files be bad since i dl them as an iso and did nothing other than try to write them to a blank dvd ?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    You could use DVDDecrypter, or similar to extract from the VOBs to a single, contiguous MPG file and then re-author yourself to a new Video_TS VOBSet. This would also have the benefit of checking the MPG for any anomalies. The result could be burned with ImgBurn...

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi Scott........thanks for all your help, or similar to extract from the VOBs to a single, contiguous MPG file and then re-author yourself to a new Video_TS VOBSet. This would also have the benefit of checking the MPG for any anomalies. if i understand you correctly you are saying that can extract the file that contains the video with all the infromation needed and burn so that it can play like a commercial dvd in my home dvd player ............again i am new and dont understand all this and have to look up almost everything in detail so that ican understand
    VOB i see that is a file in the folders
    MPG files i have no clue
    and also re-author i am guessing that i can redo the file to a new video ts

again im sorry for my stupidity ......i am just recently getting in this while other do this and enjoy what they do
    and i am trying

just an fyi to let you all know what i have on hand

MOVIE FILES - .avi iso srt xvid video_ts .mkv these are all the videos in m movies folder
    PROGRAMS - convertxtodvd4 imgburn isobuster

i tried to tackle to see if my convertxtodvd4 was setup correctly to take these files and write to a blank dvd properly and am getting lost with all the reading
    as well with imgburn but imgburn seems simple as pretty much more simplified

1)maybe i need to look to see if if the files are correct and ready to be burned
    2)then look to see if the software is setup to convert or burn properly
    3)just give up after all attempts

sorry for the dry humor and very greatful for all the help everyone is trying to give prob why i am not a lawyer loool

i dont know where to start so maybe from the begining if you could help me scott or anyone
    thanks
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search Comp PM

Name:	DVD Decryptor snapshot.PNG
Views:	611
Size:	166.8 KB
ID:	10477ok this is what i did - put the dvd that does not work in home dvd player in the computer drive and ran the decryptor
    from here where do i go -- or how do i do as you asked --extract from the VOBs to a single, contiguous MPG file and then re-author yourself to a new Video_TS VOBSet. This would also have the benefit of checking the MPG for any anomalies.......... so that i can use imgburn and see if this works .............. thanks again scott
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i ran the decryptor and this is the log and all info after finish

Name:	Decryptor Log.PNG
Views:	284
Size:	363.1 KB
ID:	10478

CORNUCOPIA where do i go from here with the VOB to a single contiguous MPG file and hw do i re-author to a new video_t VOB Set
    thanks again scott
    Quote Quote  
  27. I notice you are using fairly cheap, crappy media. This could be a problem, try some good quality, made in Japan blanks. Many set-top players are very picky about media, though as you have tried several this may not be the only issue.

DVDDecrypter or Vob2Mpg to make one big MPG. Gui4DVDAuthor to re-author, which just means convert the mpg into VOB files, in standard DVD format. You will need a program to demux, which means seperate the audio and video into different files. The process of seperating and then integrating these files often solves many problems, though not usually such a total failure to play.
    Quote Quote  
  28. Member
    Search Comp PM
    @nelson i agree that this might be an issue since i am not at all familiar with what works great .............but i will say this .... i have 300 blank dvd lightscribe media same media that i am trying to get these iso movies to burn and out of the 300-----190 was succesful and lookgreat and sound great on all my home players 100 blanks left and the 10 left are coasters becuase of these 2 movies i am beating myself to death with ..............so i dont think its the media but i am questioning the downloaded film file (ISO) and i am also questioing my stupidity of not knowing if i set my 2 programs up wrong or maybe i am using the wrong function to burn it on the disc .................i have convertxtodvd4 and imgburn and now isobuster and dvd decryptor .......................so maybe i am setting the programs incorrectly r just dont understand the functions properly ............butthese 2 movies are trying my patience on this but i am not giving up ..............

any other suggestions then i am stll all ears and trying
    thanks for the help to all who are trying
    Quote Quote