VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. My Dell flat screen is going into standby mode(not screensaver mode) after so many minutes..when the mouse is moved the screen comes on for a second then goes back into standby again..I have to keep turning the monitor off and on,then moving the mouse to try and get the desktop back..This took 2 or 3 times before..now its taking even longer..I even tried to reboot the system and the monitor would not show any detail just stay black as in standby...I hope ive explained this the best i can....
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Can you check your power management settings and see if something somehow got changed? I've seen those settings get changed without any known human cause before. If the power management settings don't have any value that could possibly cause this then I would guess that you're in the early stages of a hardware problem that is only going to get worse, possibly a dying hard drive, motherboard issue or even the monitor itself. If you've got another PC handy it might be a good idea to just plug the monitor into it and see if it behaves normally or not.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thanks Jman98..i didnt think to try the monitor on my other pc..ill test it a bit later..ill also look at the power management settings..Is there a setting that they should be at??Ive never had to look there before..

Edit..i cant see to much in the power management options..This is the only thing that i can see to post that might be a problem?

Last edited by Soixante; 16th Dec 2011 at 10:17.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Control Panel -> Power Options

If you are not running Windows you definitely need to tell us.
    Quote Quote  
  5. yes sir..sorry..Windows XP SP3 all security updates to today

Quote Quote  
  6. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    This is for my laptop with W7, but similar to XP:

Click image for larger version

Name:	ps.JPG
Views:	405
Size:	50.3 KB
ID:	10134

Your monitor may have internal settings that apply to this also, but that would be unusual. I would go with the suggestion to try a different monitor. If it's not the PC or monitor internal settings, you may have a failing monitor.
    Quote Quote  
  7. i have 4 tabs within the power option i dont see anything like your posted screenshot..This is what i have plus the one already posted above

i am going to change monitors overnight and se if this monitor does the same on teh other computer unit..

Just been over to the Dell website ..found this thread http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/desktop/f/3515/t/19292207.aspx

its exactlly the same thats happening to me.does not look like theres an answer to it

Thanks for the help
    Last edited by Soixante; 16th Dec 2011 at 14:00.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Your power settings look fine, so it's not being caused by that. I took a look at that Dell link and they really don't have a good handle on this at all. The first link in that thread starts 2 years ago so there is some chance that maybe Dell has updated a driver that fixes the problem. I'm afraid if the monitor appears to be OK on another PC that you're going to have to go the Dell website and download updates for your drivers. I'd start with anything that looks to be related to video cards and monitors.
    Quote Quote  
  9. ok..monitor was ok on other system....What i have had to do as the only driver update at dell for my monitor was Dec 2007... is go into power settings and change the settings to

Monitor stays on ..is the only thing i can do untill maybe there is a solution for this...but doesnt loook like its going to come any time soon from Dell as this is an ongoing problem over 2 years with no solution or answers from them!
    Quote Quote