VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have an "empty" 16GB USB memory stick. (See screenshot). However there is 85.9MB on the memory stick. Windows is set to view all files including protected files, and Windows shows no files on the memory stick. I would like to see what are the 85.9MB files.
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Clipboard01.jpg
Views:	3006
Size:	85.2 KB
ID:	10097  

Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    u can try USB Show

my guess is its the security software that came with the drive.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Enable the display of hidden and system files in Explorer.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    OK OK....you caught us. It's us.... "Big Brother". It's our spying software on that stick. Now you have ruined everything. We are going to turn ourselves into the police now. Goodbye.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Could be the drive partition table, though that seems kinda big. I know the DoD forbids flash memory drives because they found drives with code "burned" in to the chips. Try reading it on a different OS like MAC or Linux.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by jimdagys View Post
    I have an "empty" 16GB USB memory stick. (See screenshot). However there is 85.9MB on the memory stick. Windows is set to view all files including protected files, and Windows shows no files on the memory stick. I would like to see what are the 85.9MB files.
    You need also select to Show hidden files and folders in folder options
    Probably folders $RECYCLE.BIN and System Volume Information are the 85.9MB files
    Last edited by roma_turok; 14th Dec 2011 at 13:36.
    Quote Quote  
  7. I have already selected to show hidden files, as stated in my initial posting. See screenshot.

Views:	2777
Size:	105.1 KB
ID:	10099  

Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by jimdagys View Post
    I have already selected to show hidden files, as stated in my initial posting. See screenshot.
    Did you see folder by name System Volume Information?
    that folder contain 85.9 mb
    Quote Quote  
  9. Windows explorer shows no files or folders are on the memory stick. I'll try Linux and report back.
    Last edited by jimdagys; 14th Dec 2011 at 17:45.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Using puppy linux, I also don't see anything on the memory stick. I know this linux is showing hidden files, because I can see the usual hidden files on the c drive, like "recycler" and "system volume information".
    It seems that virus makers would have a bonanza on this- Files that can't be seen in either Windows or linux.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    As far as I'm aware, Puppy Linux defaults to not showing hidden files and folders, so if you haven't specifically enabled it... (Other Linux distros most likely default to not showing hidden files and folders, too.)

Are you sure the drive isn't one of those with a 'special' partition with the manufacturer's security setup, etc., in it? Who manufactures the drive?
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    On more than one occasion I've seen 16GB memory devices listed as 14.9GB of actual usable space.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by Ai Haibara View Post
    Are you sure the drive isn't one of those with a 'special' partition with the manufacturer's security setup, etc., in it?
    But the dialog he pictured is showing the partition size, not the drive size.

Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    On more than one occasion I've seen 16GB memory devices listed as 14.9GB of actual usable space.
    That's because Windows shows the size in GiB (1024*1024*1024). Drive manufacturers give the size in GB (1000*1000*1000). 14.9 * 1024 * 1024 * 1024 = 15,998,753,177.
    Quote Quote  
  14. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    Open a command prompt, and run "chkdsk d:"

What does it say
    Quote Quote  
  15. When I run "chkdsk d:
    a dos window pops up for a few seconds and then goes away. I took a quick screenshot before the window disappeared.The memory stick just is marked "Microcenter 16GB", nothing else. Microcenter sells these bulk, loose, not in a package. See attached picture.

Views:	1434
Size:	63.2 KB
ID:	10109  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Clipboard02.jpg
Views:	2450
Size:	22.4 KB
ID:	10110  

Last edited by jimdagys; 15th Dec 2011 at 08:47.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Open a command prompt, the type CHKDSK X: where X is the drive letter of the flash drive. D if the image in the first post is current.
    Quote Quote