VideoHelp Forum

Try DVDFab and download streaming video, copy, convert or make Blu-rays,DVDs! Download free trial !
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Hello All,

Newbie to this forum here.

I purchased a PS3 in Australia when I was living there and it played all my games, BD movies and regular DVD's (PAL) when I was living there. I have recently returned home and brought the PS3 with me and it continues to play all the games and BD movies from Australia but it will not play the PAL DVD's. I have it connected (via HDMI) to my HD TV that I purchased in Canada.

When I load the PAL DVD's, the PS3 finds it as a DVD-ROM, seem to play it (I can hear the disc spinning and the screen goes dark as if the movie is about to start) but after a minute or so, I get an error message on the screen that there is no input signal.

Is this because of the PAL format not being recognized by the TV?

Please help as we have too many movies from Australia that we would like to watch (and I don't really wish to convert them all to a playable format on a computer).

Thanks

H
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by hsd View Post

Is this because of the PAL format not being recognized by the TV?

Please help as we have too many movies from Australia that we would like to watch (and I don't really wish to convert them all to a playable format on a computer).
    Yes. The TV is the problem. In N. America you need a multi-system or PAL TV to display an incoming PAL video signal. If DVDs are all you really want to play, not games, finding a region-free DVD player that converts from PAL to NTSC would be a much less expensive solution than a TV. Philips has been a good source for these in the past, but I'm not sure what current Canadian models provide this feature and can be hacked to be region free. Blu-Ray players are much less likely to perform this kind of conversion. You may need to look for an online specialty retailer that carries international/multi system video equipment to find the kind of TV or DVD player you need.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Hi.

I think the problem is probably that your TV doesn't recognise a PAL 50hz signal, which is what a UK DVD uses.

In Europe and Australia, most TV's accept 50/60hz signals. In the US and Canada, in the past most TV's accepted 60hz only.

You need a TV that will accept 50hz/PAL and 60hz/NTSC.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I had the exact same issue yesterday.

I think for blue-ray discs, there's not much you can do.
    For standard def PAL discs however, here is how i got mine to work on my non PAL TV.

-Connect your PS3 using the AV cables.
    - Turn off the PS3
    - Press and hold the power button until you hear the second beep (about 5 seconds).
    - Set your tv input to AV and it should work.

Might not depending on your Tv. I have a new (ish ) Bravia.

hope this helps.
    Quote Quote