VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. i have pioneer dv220v dvd played that plays divx files, is there a way to make it play divxhd files? the dvd player is hd and has a hdmi cable so it should be able to play hd divx
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by justincollins View Post
    i have pioneer dv220v dvd played that plays divx files, is there a way to make it play divxhd files?
    No.
    Quote Quote  
  3. so what would be the max res of divx can i create and still watch it in this player
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If it is a regular dvd player I'm fairly certain all will be restricted to standard definition resolutions. That would be 720x480/576 and lower.

You would have to reencode them to the lower resolution and the specs of the player in question to play them.

Or get a bluray player that plays divxhd files. Or better still get a wdtv or one of its competitors and play the original file that way.

Originally Posted by justincollins
    so it should be able to play hd divx
    Only if it explicitly states that.

The hdmi for the dvd player is soley for upconverting purposes. As a dvd player it is still in the STANDARD DEFINITION world of resolutions.

Unless as mentioned it specifically says it can play divxhd - which if it can't play the files you are presenting it than it must not be able to.

One side note - there is an outside chance if this player CAN play divxhd you may not be using a fat32 drive if that is a restricition of this player. You would need to have the file at 4gbs or less and formatted to fat32 if that is a requirement of the player. Though I do understand a lot of bluray players now do have ntfs support. Not so sure about newer dvd only models.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    DVD players actually don't support HD playback. I think there were only 1 or maybe 2 DVD player models that were reported to support DivxHD. Unless your docs say that it plays it you are limited to 720x576 or lower as yoda313 says. The odds are very high that your DVD player simply does not support the format.
    Quote Quote