VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello!

I was recently given an old RCA VCR by a friend, who got it from a local thrift store. When he bought it, no instruction manual or remote control was included. Upon hooking it up to my TV for the first time, a screen is displayed asking that I select a menu language (English/French/Spanish). I'm supposed to press 1, 2 or 3 based on which language I wish to set. However, since there was no remote included, I have no 1, 2 or 3 to press.

But here's the curveball: upon giving this VCR to me, my friend hooked it up to my TV. When he saw this language screen, he started pressing buttons on the front of the VCR (Play, Fast Forward, Rewind, Record, Stop, Power) and he pressed something and the tape we had put in the VCR began to play. But he cannot remember what he pressed, and neither can I, and nothing I am trying is getting rid of this screen.

Is there a solution to my problem? Or do I have to go out and buy a universal remote? Or would another RCA VCR remote (different model) work (I might be able to find one at a thrift store or flea market)?

Help!
    Quote Quote  
  2. New developments: I found a RCA VCR manual online. I was not sure of my specific VCR's model number, but I picked a model at random from a list and downloaded the manual. This was located herein:

--

5. Select the language.
    The VCR displays the on-screen menus in the English, Spanish
    or French language. The word “Language” cycles through the
    different languages when the VCR Main Menu is displayed on
    the TV screen. The arrow indicates which language is selected.
    A. Press MENU on remote to display the VCR MAIN MENU on
    the TV screen.
    B. Press 5 to display the LANGUAGE or IDIOMA or LANGUE
    menu. (English: LANGUAGE; Spanish: IDIOMA; French:
    LANGUE).
    • Press 1 to have the menus displayed in English (Ingles).
    • Press 2 to have the menus displayed in Spanish
    (Español).
    • Press 3 to have the menus displayed in French
    (Français)

--

Not sure how much it helps, since I still don't have a remote, but I thought I would post it nonetheless.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Might try a universal remote. Also sometimes you can get a learning remote and get it programmed with all of the original features.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    RCA remotes from the pawn shop are something like a dollar. Mine all work with my RCA vcrs. Just have to make sure the one you buy has the vcr controls on it rather than just the TV controls. Good luck...
    Quote Quote  
  5. Thanks, friends! I found an old universal remote I am trying to work with at the moment. Let's see how that works out...
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    I just spent the last hour, hating myself, trying to figure out why I once had this RCA VCR working and now I'm stuck on the language screen. Like you, I don't have the remote, it was bought at a thrift store.

For whatever reason I try a different VHS. I pop in Twin Peaks and, what, it works! I'm sure your friend put it a store-bought VHS tape, that is to say a movie he bought and not one he recorded on a blank tape. The factory/distributed VHS tapes start automatically.

Hope that helps. I guess we're both going to have to get remotes for the other ones.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by smilingoff View Post
    I just spent the last hour, hating myself, trying to figure out why I once had this RCA VCR working and now I'm stuck on the language screen. Like you, I don't have the remote, it was bought at a thrift store.

For whatever reason I try a different VHS. I pop in Twin Peaks and, what, it works! I'm sure your friend put it a store-bought VHS tape, that is to say a movie he bought and not one he recorded on a blank tape. The factory/distributed VHS tapes start automatically.

Hope that helps. I guess we're both going to have to get remotes for the other ones.
    This actually helped me. If you put a factory/distributed movie in it, it will play automatically. After that you can put in a home video or other blank tape and it will play. So no remote needed!
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    This helped me as well. Used a factory produced movie and it fixed the issue. Thanks y'all.
    Quote Quote