VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    I recently bought a new PC so that I could convert blurays to a streaming format. That is working flawlessly. However, now my old method of converting DVDs doesn't seem to work. The process I used on my old PC was thus:

Rip DVD to PC using DVDFab DVDCopy
    Extract individual episodes (TV DVD) using DVDFab DVDCopy
    Make .d2v file using DGIndex
    Make .avi file using VirtualDub and QTGMC filter and Lagarith lossless codec
    Convert/remux to .mp4 using MeGUI

This process used to work flawlessly on my old PC. On my new PC, the duration of the .avi video I'm getting out of VirtualDub is different than the duration of the .vob I'm getting out of DVDFab.

For instance, my latest attempt was on Absolutely Fabulous White Box. The duration of the .vob file from DVDFab is 43:47. The duration of the .avi from VirtualDub is 43:49. Here is the script I used for VirtualDub:

LoadPlugin("C:\Tools\AviSynth 2.5\Plugins\DGDecode.dll")
    LoadPlugin("C:\Tools\AviSynth 2.5\Plugins\nnedi3.dll")
    MPEG2Source("C:\Video\Absolutely Fabulous\White Box\Whitebox.d2v")
    AssumeTFF()
    QTGMC(preset="slow", border=true, sharpness=0.5)
    SelectEven()

It is the exact same script I used to use on my old PC. I also had this problem with a Doctor Who DVD. I haven't tried it on any other DVDs yet. When I remuxed/converted the Doctor Who video in MeGui the audio was out of sync; this is the ultimate problem I'm experiencing. I haven't tried the Absolutely Fabulous video yet because I saw the durations were different and assumed the audio would be out of sync as well.

Further making things strange I tried yet another method. I used MakeMKV on the episode rip to make a .mkv file, then downsized the file with Handbrake. The resulting file had a duration 43:50, but audio was in sync. I would use this method, but the quality of the final video is pretty bad compared to what I used to get using the long drawn out method before.

I don't understand how I can get such different durations of the same source file, and where the problem actually is. Does anyone have any ideas? I'm not sure what other information would be useful. I am running 64-bit Windows 7, all of my video tools and codecs are 32-bit, which is exactly the same setup as on my old PC.
    Quote Quote  
  2. - sometimes there is a delay reported in the demuxed stream, you would have to enter that (megui should if you enter the audio directly)

- some dvd's have blank cells , which you can move past with DGIndex. See this thread

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=158519

Unrelated to your delay, but negatively impacting quality: if the source is film, you shouldn't be deinterlacing with qtgmc (or any deinterlacer). This will give you 29,97 fps, and frame repeats every 5th frame, also degrade each frame's quality uncessarily (reduces effective resolution) . If it is a film source, you should inverse telecine (IVTC) the material, this will give you back the original progressive content
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    The source according to DGIndex is NTSC. I can't remember if it is progressive or interlaced though.
    Quote Quote  
  4. You should read about interlaced vs. progressive, film vs. video

I don't know what "Absolutely Fabulous White Box" is, but if it's a TV show, likely it's film rate. All Hollywood movies, North American TV shows will be film , so you wouldn't deinterlace them. BBC shot production like Dr. Who will be different if it's the PAL release. Most likely it will be 25p progressive . So you still wouldn't deinterlace it. You don't deinterlace progressive content.

Here is a basic guide
    http://neuron2.net/faq.html#analysis

This is old & might be outdated, but some basic info
    http://www.doom9.org/ivtc-tut.htm
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by fatcharlie View Post
    Rip DVD to PC using DVDFab DVDCopy
    Extract individual episodes (TV DVD) using DVDFab DVDCopy
    Make .d2v file using DGIndex
    Make .avi file using VirtualDub and QTGMC filter and Lagarith lossless codec
    Convert/remux to .mp4 using MeGUI
    WAY too much nonsense in there.....
    DVDFabDecrypter
    DVDShrink(maybe....if you need to take individual episodes)
    VOB2MPEG
    Handbrake
    Using script is just ridiculous for something this simple.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    Ok, here is a pic of the DGIndex info. It is definitely Interlaced. I'm pretty sure I chose to use QTGMC on interlaced video per your suggestion, but if there's something better, I'm open for suggestions.
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	272
Size:	32.6 KB
ID:	9913  

Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    @hech54 I agree there are quicker ways to accomplish what I want to do, but from previously experimenting with Survivor TV episodes from DVD that process gave me the highest quality output when it came to getting rid of Interlacing artifacts.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search PM
    I ran the script from neuron2.net and the source video is purely Interlaced. I get a pattern of ...a b c d e f..., etc.
    Quote Quote  
  9. If it's pure interlace, beware you're throwing away 1/2 the temporal information by using SelectEven() . If you remove that you will get 59.94 frames per second, and motion will be a lot smoother (how interlace content is meant to be viewed). Again, this little diversion is separate from the sync issues
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search PM
    Ok, so nevermind. I guess I should have tried the Absolutely Fabulous conversion before making this post - it came out fine. It's just the Doctor Who that is messed up. Thank you for all the replies though!
    Quote Quote