VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    most comments have deteriorated to newbies whining about their own specific problems.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Either that or find a way to add a "REPORT" option.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Although there is occasionally need to make use of the existing "Report this comment" feature more extensively, the tool comment section is usually highly informative about users' real-world use and performance (including bugs and workarounds/alternatives), beyond the maker's blurb/hype. I count on it to learn if the tool actually works as advertised.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The comments section isn't the place for discussion of "work arounds or alternatives".

Too many "comments" are extended discussion of such issues or even worse, responses to other "comments" and it becomes indistinguishable from a forum thread.

There should be a link to the appropriate forum for discussion and mods should either move comments to that forum or just delete them when they turn into long digressions, especially people who make multiple "comments" on the same version of the same tool.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Keep the comments section for tools. While not every comment posted is worthwhile reading, a percentage are useful to me. I can say the same thing about every site that allows its general membership to post reviews.

Those who find most comments in the tools section to be annoying can always stop reading the comments.
    Quote Quote  
  6. I personally think the comments section is invaluable to making a decision about the purchase or use of the particular tool. Without that ability, all you have is an unrestricted advertisement. Inappropriate comments should be flagged/reported and removed like what is done on the threads.
    Quote Quote  
  7. I guess, tool commenting is a unique feature that VideoHelp offers. It really helps newbies to decide either to use the tool (which particular release/version) or not. And video-pros do not really need such information. It also help developers up to some extent to get rid of particular bug(s) in next release.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I would like to add my support to the idea of keeping the comments. If you are smart enough to separate useful ones from bad even the bad ones can have some value in that if the only people complaining are doing so in an idiotic way, it may be an argument that the software is actually pretty good.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    it bothers me when our good freeware authors like jdobbs have to defend their software in the comments section. there are development threads and entire other forums where the alleged "bugs" and other "problems" rightfully belong. not that i want to add to the admin's duties here, but someone should scan the comments once in a while i guess.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    Those who find most comments in the tools section to be annoying can always stop reading the comments.
    I find myself in agreement, when deciding to try a tool this is my first stop the rating based with useful information i glean from the comments are how i base my decision. There have been times where i have seen comments that didn't belong in the comment section, (i.e. users defending the tool, if someone happens to give the tool it a bad rating). The commment section should be for comments about the functionality of the tool and the users experience with the tool. If there is to be a discussion about the tool it should be done in a dedicated thread.
    Murphy's law taught me everything I know.
    Quote Quote  
  11. I agree too, the comments are useful even though some are less valuable. The worse "abuse" I noticed is when some guy goes and writes comments for a bunch of programs in one go; it pollutes the Latest Video Tools list on the homepage. Just preventing comments from updating the homepage list would make my day.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by dragonkeeper View Post
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    I find myself in agreement, when deciding to try a tool this is my first stop the rating based with useful information i glean from the comments are how i base my decision. There have been times where i have seen comments that didn't belong in the comment section, (i.e. users defending the tool, if someone happens to give the tool it a bad rating). The commment section should be for comments about the functionality of the tool and the users experience with the tool. If there is to be a discussion about the tool it should be done in a dedicated thread.
    Agree and I'm especially highlighting the bold part which is most useful when assessing a tool before trying it or when experiencing a similar problem. This information would get lost in a forum and it would be difficult to convince people to identify certain key pieces like OS and Program version.

The ratings when they are low seem to excite and bring out defenders of certain freeware authors but to me they have little value. While the program version number and OS are essential for proper assessment, I ignore the ratings unless they are supported by meaningful explanations and detailed experience.
    There's not much to do but then I can't do much anyway.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by nic2k4 View Post
    I agree too, the comments are useful even though some are less valuable. The worse "abuse" I noticed is when some guy goes and writes comments for a bunch of programs in one go; it pollutes the Latest Video Tools list on the homepage. Just preventing comments from updating the homepage list would make my day.
    Spammers have been quickly reported and caught because the front page was updated. I reported some myself. Otherwise someone could spam old tools and it might escape notice for a long time
    There's not much to do but then I can't do much anyway.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Hi folks,

I continue to count myself as a Newbie who knows enough about certain tools to be dangerous! With that said, I myself use the "Rating Score" and "Comments" to decide which other Tool I want to play around with and experiment and learn.

As mentioned before here the Grading can't be all that accurate ... since rhyme and reasoning of each person varies ... so!

But all in all Comments section in Tools area is useful to me ... since it is right there with the tool.
    Quote Quote