VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've seen some similar threads on this issue and followed some of the advice by downloading Smart Ripper and VideoLan but, obviously, I'm way over my head technically and can't even get to first base with the problem. I apologize in advance for the length of this post.

I have a Christmas Karaoke DVD (someone shoot me, please) from which I've downloaded all the .IFO, .BUP and .VOB files to my hard drive. The DVD has a menu option to select either the Instrumental Track or Voice Demo Track for each song. Each song has a picture background, sometimes animated, with the words that highlight in sync with the song, thus, the video. The syncing thing MAY be where the problem lies but... maybe not. The 2005 DVD has a copyright warning but isn't protected, I didn't have to decrypt it to download the files. I bought it from Amazon.

My first issue is small with a work around but annoying. I have to eject and then close the DVD player for the "Unknown DVD (E)" to show in Media Player EVERY TIME otherwise Media Player doesn't show the DVD in the Library mode. I did set up Media Player to "Rip Music from CD" automatically but I think because it's a DVD and not a CD, it won't do it.

Once it's playing, I can click on the drop down arrow next to the "DVD" button on the Stop/Play/Pause bar at the bottom of the Library window and go to Special Features\Audio where it has a check mark next to Track 1 or Track 2, whichever is playing based on my selection on the opening menu. Track 1 is the Instrumental, Track 2 is the Voice Demo version.

I notice that if I play the DVD it's very time consuming to go back to the main menu every time, select a song and then select whether or not I want the Instrumental Track or the Voice Demo Track, and then wait for it to load, etc. I'm going to be using a laptop and a projector to do this thing so I'd rather just be able to load the songs on the laptop desktop as individual .mpg's and click on the song we want with or without the voice background. (This is for a WWII veteran's group where we're doing Christmas Karaoke with a bunch of very fine, VERY elderly folks and I'd like to give them the option of singin' along with the songs with or without the vocal accompaniment.)

So, I'm trying to isolate the Voice Demo Tracks as separate audio files where I can use Ulead Video Studio 11+ to manipulate the audio channels, Instrumental only or with Voice Demo, for each video song clip.

The real issue and what's driving me nuts is I have what appears to be all the files on my hard drive but when I play any of them, they're all the Instrumental Tracks, none of them are the Voice Demo Track.

I have tried opening the audio only from the DVD on Ulead Video Studio but all the UVS options are grayed out. I've loaded video files in UVS and I've tried to split the audio there to see if there are separate tracks but only the Instrumental Track is loaded. I'm guessing it's the "default" track.

Sounds kinda silly, but it wouldn't hurt for me to learn the technical ins and outs of this thing. I love Christmas music but I'm gonna need some brain bleach here after all this troubleshooting. Fail!

Can someone tell me how to "find" and download BOTH tracks on the DVD? I can do screen shots to show what's happening.
    Quote Quote  
  2. If you've ripped it to hdd, one way you can demux all tracks with dgindex. file=>save project will demux all audio tracks, if the audio=>output method is set to demux all tracks
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks, Poison. I'll see what I can to with DGIndex and report back.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Okay, I'm just too thick to figure out how to use the DGIndex. I used DGIndex to open the VOB file I thought had the audio track and created an .ac3 file with it. I used "load project" to open that file and all I'm getting is the video, no sound and no intuitive way to edit it. How do you select an audio file to load when the whole object of the project is to FIND the audio track somewhere in the list of 11 VOB files? Again, the DGIndex instruction manual is as arcane with as much techno babble as the program itself. I need Video Help for Dummies.
    Quote Quote