VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ADVC-110 works for SD VHS PAL capture to Windows XP PC but not with Firewire800 Mac.

Have tried to capture PAL Hi8 analog tapes to iMac via a Sony TRV107E PAL Hi8 Camcorder connected to the Canopus ADVC110 with composite cables. Have tried FCP and iMovie as the capture software but all attempts are coming out black and white. The ADVC has been set to capture PAL (DIP switches set to 2+6 on also tried just 6 on and other combinations) The cable from ADVC110 to the iMac is firewire 800 input with a 6 pin firewire output from the ADVC110. Have set iMovie and FCP to PAL and cannot get a PAL signal to come through, only black and white. Tried using VHS tape PAL and got the same result. Switched to S-VHS cables same result. Also tried a Hi8 deck instead of the camcorder and still same result. Tried all different settings on the ADVC restarting the power each time. Reset the preference file for iMovie and still no change.

Connected the same equipment to a PC laptop with firewire 4 pin and was able to capture color using Movie Maker. So the ADVC must be ok and so are the Hi8 tapes. Just need to get this result on the Mac.

I originally entered this question in the Capture forum and many suggestions were given. Mostly it seems to be a firewire connection issue or something with the Mac software. Has anyone come across this problem on a Mac before and how to resolve it?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    For anyone in a similar situation, the solution was found to be DIP switches on the ADVC110 set to 6 and 1 ON. Everything else OFF. Apparently, the Sync has to be fixed for the color to come through. I do not understand the why and how but Canopus tech support explained it to me this way. So I wanted to share the solution with anyone who may need help in the future.

One thing I did notice with the capture in imovie is that it is very grainy and the original Hi8 is a really nice recording so I will try some different settings in FCP to fix the grainy issue if it can be fixed at all.
    Quote Quote