VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Apologies for my non-tech question!

I have my desktop PC wired using O2 broadband (Thomson IV router, wireless capable) via a BT landline.

I live in rented property and the landlord supplies wifi (I don't know what package or company he uses).

I've been told I need a wireless card (or adaptor?) to use my landlord's wifi, so do I still need O2 (or any other host) for broadband? And do I still need a BT landline?

I want to cut down on bills, but am unsure what to do?

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. If there are many other users you may find the wifi to be too slow. But you can get a USB wifi adapter pretty cheap:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/TRENDnet-150Mbps-Micro-Wireless-Adapter/dp/B004D41ECW/
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wireless-Internet-Adaptor-150Mbps-Windows/dp/B003BKBGF4/
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Edimax-EW-7811UN-Wireless-802-11b-150Mbps/dp/B003MTTJOY/

A wireless b/g/n adapter should work with whatever system he's using. If you find performance is good enough for you then you don't need another internet source.
    Last edited by jagabo; 23rd Nov 2011 at 18:02.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    If I read this correctly, and the OP's landlord has Wifi - IN ADDITION TO your own created wifi (from the Thompson unit),

you can connect via wired to the Thompson unit (usually MUCH, MUCH faster), or via wireless to either the Thompson unit or your landlord's unit.

If you've got the cash, it probably wouldn't hurt to have one of those adapters. I mean: THOSE ARE LESS THAN 10 quid!

Then you can decide which way you want to go: WIRED (and anchored to a particular spot), or WIRELESS 1 or WIRELESS 2.

Only if Wireless2 is a good deal faster than 1, and you have no other need for wired service, would it make ANY sense to get rid of the O2 & Thompson unit...

Scott

p.s. Plus, you might want to think about security. You could set the Thompson router yourself to be secure - not sure if you could get your Landlord to do that...
    Quote Quote  
  4. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    You just need a wireless adapter card for your PC. And an empty PCI slot. Be aware that the internet speed may be a fair amount slower than your wired internet. I would hold on to that for a bit longer to decide if the wireless setup is right for you.

You can also get a USB ethernet adapter and try it out that way. USB may not have as good of reception as a PCI card. You can also get a PCI adapter card with a remote antenna if you need a stronger signal.

The PCI cards are usually inexpensive, maybe $20US. USB adapters are likely about the same amount, depending where you shop.

I'm guessing your landlord is probably just using a router off his wired internet connection.

Some concerns with wireless are security. Unless you use encryption with your wireless adapter, (And the landlord is using it) your signals can be intercepted. (hacked) Without encryption, you want to be careful doing bank or financial transactions or putting anything of a sensitive nature over a open system.

EDIT: Late again.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks alot, fellas, very helpful.

With this set up (if I go for it- speed), could I then safely get rid of the BT landline, now out of contract?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    IF the speed is always fast enough for your needs

IF the Landlord can always guarantee access/service

IF there's sufficient security in place and maintained

IF there's no OTHER reason for you needing a landline (now or in the near future)

IF you have no trouble with the wifi addon

Then you probably can get rid of the landline...but that's a LOT of ifs.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yes thanks, they are.

As it stands then, I am buying a wireless 150mbps adaptor (USB) and connecting to my landlord's connection, which he said is strong and secure.

Then I will cancel my British Telecom landline and also my O2 broadband connection (both out of contract).
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I'm surprised that a landlord would provide wireless internet as part of your rental agreement.

In the US, that would subject the landlord to possible deductions from the rent if the service goes down.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by aelfheah View Post
    As it stands then, I am buying a wireless 150mbps adaptor (USB) and connecting to my landlord's connection, which he said is strong and secure.
    Presumably then it has a WPA password which he has given you?

Also, if the signal isn't reliable, you can focus it with a homebrew reflector:

http://www.freeantennas.com/
    http://www.binarywolf.com/249/
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Here in the UK, some landlords do!

He says it's secure etc, I once tried it when testing a laptop I bought for my g'friend, who doesn't live here.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by aelfheah View Post
    He says it's secure etc,
    I'm sure it's secure from you to him, but what about from him to you?

Better put some tape on your webcam. Hahaha,
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by aelfheah View Post
    Here in the UK, some landlords do!

He says it's secure etc, I once tried it when testing a laptop I bought for my g'friend, who doesn't live here.
    When you tried it, did it work? Did it work without a password and/or without providing a MAC address to your landlord?

If it simply worked then it is not secure at all.
    They that give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    Quote Quote