VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Just wondered if there was a tool that would reencode the audio stream but leave the video alone in an MP4.

Usually I use MKVToolnix to remux MKV/MP4 files to remove audio tracks I don't need, or add/remove subtitle tracks, and Vidcoder fo converting... Vidcoder will work but, also reencode the video and the video is fine I just want it remuxed.

Is there a 'leave video alone' option in Vidcoder I missed? or another app I can use?

Reason is, file worked before I formatted my system, now audio is glitchy and cuts in and out... obviously missing a codec, can't recall which one it was, figured reencode using something a bit more standard and not worry about it.

Thanks for any help.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Avidemux, open mp4, under video choose copy, under audio choose the codec like aac or mp3, under format choose mp4. Save.

Or if you like command line tools:
    ffmpeg, ffmpeg -i video.mp4 -vcodec copy -acodec libfaac -ab 128kb newvideo.mp4
    Quote Quote  
  3. In line with Baldrick. Just use AVIdemux in video COPY mode coz in ffmpeg new version libfaac is deprecated and in all old versions libfaac is buggy.

Alternatively if you de-mux video and audio tracks by using My MP4Box GUI or Yamb, you can use any commandline audio encoder of your own choice, and then re-mux back to MP4 using MP4Box GUI or Yamb. For re-muxing to MKV use MKVToolnix.
    Last edited by Bonie81; 23rd Nov 2011 at 04:59.
    Quote Quote  
  4. In line with Baldrick. Just use AVIdemux in video COPY mode coz in ffmpeg new version libfaac is deprecated and in all old version libfacc is buggy.
    Alternatively if you de-mux video and audio tracks by using My MP4Box GUI or Yamb, you can use any commandline audio encoder of your own choice, and then re-mux back to MP4 using MP4Box GUI or Yamb. For re-muxing to MKV use MKVToolnix.

PS : TO MODERATOR
    DOUBLE POST, PLS DETELE LAST ONE.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Excellent. Downloaded the 64-bit, gave it a whirl... switched the audio to 128kbps MP3 from 128kbps AAC (which normally work on my other files) and converted no problem. Final file was maybe 1.5MB different in size. Now to finish them all... TV series.

Like I said, everything else works fine, and these worked fine before the reinstall of Win7... rather convert them then try and figure out which codec I need.

Thanks again.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by THRobinson View Post
    Excellent. Downloaded the 64-bit, gave it a whirl... switched the audio to 128kbps MP3 from 128kbps AAC (which normally work on my other files) and converted no problem. Final file was maybe 1.5MB different in size. Now to finish them all... TV series.
    we are glad that it worked!
    final size is different by 1.5 mb bcoz of mp3 compression. hope it is CBR-MP3.

Like I said, everything else works fine, and these worked fine before the reinstall of Win7... rather convert them then try and figure out which codec I need.

Thanks again.
    i am not expert in win-os. it seems that while you re-install Win7, previously installed codecs or codec-pack has been wiped-out,
    I am also not sure about MKVToolnix and VidCoder dependancy on DirectShow Codec Filters. But to check you can open source video file in GraphEdit and see how it is rendered by DirectShow Filters to figure-out mising codecs. I guess it might be any of DiVX H264 Decoder or CoreAVC H264 Decoder or lame DirectShow codec or AC-3 Filter or Faad DirectShow Filter.

any way I am happy with gstreamer, alsa and pulse-audio codecs only three to decode plus VLC which keep TuX rolling smooth. Ofcource, bunch of cli-encoders.
    Quote Quote