VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have some avi file 90 minutes long. On my standalone some will only play to 20 mins but on PC will play all the way. How can this be?
    Last edited by David Banner; 22nd Nov 2011 at 17:23. Reason: spelling
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It could depend on how they are encoded. When I got a new Philips DVD player I found that some of my AVI's that had Mencoder listed in Mediainfo they would not play all the way to the end. Had to use MPEG4modifier to get rid of it. Then they worked fine. Pain in the neck as I had close to 100 of them, but it saved me having to re-do them all.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by dfisher052 View Post
    It could depend on how they are encoded. When I got a new Philips DVD player I found that some of my AVI's that had Mencoder listed in Mediainfo they would not play all the way to the end. Had to use MPEG4modifier to get rid of it. Then they worked fine. Pain in the neck as I had close to 100 of them, but it saved me having to re-do them all.
    Thanks. Do you know why this is? Why will they play part of the way?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I don't have any idea. I have a friend that has the same make & model of Philips that I do & it does the same thing in his. What kind of DVD player do you have?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by dfisher052 View Post
    I don't have any idea. I have a friend that has the same make & model of Philips that I do & it does the same thing in his. What kind of DVD player do you have?
    LG BD350 bluray player
    Quote Quote  
  6. just a guess, use FOURCC tool and change AVI codec to DX50 from mencoder or whatever, should work.
    if not, there is a detailed thread for making stand-alone compativle AVI here on VideoHelp,
    Quote Quote  
  7. It could be many things. Some players are limited to 1 GB or 2 GB files. It could be the use of features the Blu-ray player doesn't support: GMC, QPEL, too high a bitrate peak. The file may be corrupt. Software players on the PC tend to be much more robust than Blu-ray players and TVs (with built in media players).
    Quote Quote  
  8. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Also depends on how you are watching the avi,if it's on a usb hdd or stick then it could be corrupted by copying it,if so just copy it again to the usb device.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by johns0 View Post
    Also depends on how you are watching the avi,if it's on a usb hdd or stick then it could be corrupted by copying it,if so just copy it again to the usb device.
    I am watching it on a DVD
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It could be one of the issues that jagabo mentions. What standalone are you using? Does it mention any limitations on what it will play in the manual?

Run one of the 'problem' videos through MediaInfo, in Tree View, and copy/paste the information here. Someone might be able to notice what your standalone player may not like about the video.
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote