VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've seen it on many occasions, but in Youtube you can right click the video
    and select "show info" and you can see a count of dropped frames
    (not that you really need the count; it's obvious by the stuttering the frames are dropped)

Some observations - Just moving the mouse around increases the count, but system resources in use seem low.
    For example, opening the task manager shows CPU usage at less than 15%.
    IT occurs even when the video is fully cached so you can't blame the network speed.

Is Firefox to blame? Is it some how allocating extremely low priority to the Flash thread?
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm using Firefox 8. I always see 0 frames dropped. Be sure you have hardware acceleration enabled on the Advanced tab of the Options dialog.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Perhaps it's related to my older video card (Nvidia 8600GT) .
    Here's the typical thing I see. Whether HW acceleration is on or off doesn't affect the dropped frames.
    The "show info" display verifies that the particular mode is in effect (video decoding).

I've got a dual boot Vista/XP and it occurs in both systems. I took a look at the CPU power savings
    to see if it was involved.

It's an AMD64 x2 CPU and with the AMD driver loaded and "minimal power management" set in the XP
    power options (the recommended setting), the CPU throttles down it's speed
    (2.2GHZ under load to 1.0 GHZ at rest or light load). I switched it to "always on", so the CPU is at a
    constant 2.2GHz, but the problem still occurred.

Click image for larger version

Name:	dropped.jpg
Views:	7650
Size:	49.5 KB
ID:	9732
    Quote Quote  
  4. One of my comptuers is an AMD Athlon 2 x2 255 system with a Nvidia 8600 GT. I get 0 frames dropped there too.Even with 720p videos. That system is running Firefox 7.0.1, 32bit XP SP3. The system I spoke of earlier was an i5 2500K with the built in Intel graphics, 64 bit Windows 7.

I Occasionally get a few dropped frames when I switch to full screen or back, or if I start up some other program. But that's expected.

Name:	flash.jpg
Views:	594
Size:	129.7 KB
ID:	9733

When the player is windowed I get software rendering. When it's full screen I get accelerated rendering.
    Last edited by jagabo; 22nd Nov 2011 at 11:46.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the info jagabo. Likewise, I also get the accelerated rendering when going to full screen,
    but by the time that short video played, I had over 100 dropped frames.

If I download the video from youtube and play it in mpc-hc it's faultless. Something about the browser environment...
    same thing happens in IE8.
    Quote Quote  
  6. I just tried IE. I get dropped frames when I right click on the video. The video stops playing for half a second or so, dropping about 20 frames. After selecting Show Video Info I see the dropped frames but don't get any more unless I right click on the video again. Each time I right click there's a pause and another ~20 dropped frames.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    I'm using Firefox 8. I always see 0 frames dropped. Be sure you have hardware acceleration enabled on the Advanced tab of the Options dialog.
    Firefox 8 here too...No dropped frame at 720p.

Name:	hKEbf.jpg
Views:	7429
Size:	109.6 KB
ID:	9736
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm willing to accept I may have a problem somewhere - question is, where . When I find out "where",
    at least I should be able to find out why.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Kill everything you can in Task Manager. See if that help. It doesn't matter that CPU usage isn't high. What matters is that the CPU usage is available when it's needed. A high priority task could be stealing a few CPU cycles at critical moments.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    OK - I'll investigate into doing a clean boot in XP. I'll update this post after.
    Quote Quote  
  11. I've had massive laggins from the moment I opened on Youtube for the first time. Actually, I've had lag on so many computers even before Youtube. I believe that it's a flash player problem. Honestly, Adobe doesn't seem to care much about how much their software lags, they're just following a trend of creating software with a simple purpose, and then bloating the hell out of it, causing it to demand far more resources than it ever should.

Nero does the same thing. I remember five or six years ago, I tried burning a simple data cd with Nero, and barely had enough cpu availible to burn the disk and run the task manager at the same time. So, I inevitably got a buffer underrun, at which point I removed it and went back to Sonic Record Now! 7, which used less than 1% of my CPU. Seriously, what have comanies like Nero and Adobe been thinking all these years? That laptop users *like* draining their battery performing simple tasks? There CPU requirements have only continued to rise.

The same thing has been plaguing IE since version 7, even though there are other IE-based programs (such as Avant) that use the same engine as IE 7 or 8 (depending on the version you have installed, and your own personal settings) without nearly as much consumption. And that's why I love open-sourced technologies, such as Firefox, as they seem to care far more than big companies, who assume that we all have $600 or so laying around that we don't really need, and an undying desire to spend it on the perfect computer, just to spend that same amount again at their conveneince.

Anyways (sorry about the rant), I strongly believe it's a flash player issue, since I never get that much lag anywhere else, not even with MadVR with the most demanding settings present. Even with DXVA(2), I don't have nearly as much lag. My advice: avoid flash player as much as possible, or get used to the lag, as it's clearly not getting fixed anytime soon.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The clean boot didn't affect the problem... I suspect it's HW related since it happens across the multiple OS's
    I have installed. Perhaps the onboard Nvidia NIC.
    Quote Quote  
  13. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    Over here, Flash Player version == 10.3.183.10

The damned plugin reports "dropped frames" even while watching low-res videos,

which of course don't require a blazing-fast CPU nor a power-hungry video card
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've seen many instances of the problem perusing the 'net, but I haven't found the vital clue that will explain it.
    If I let the video fully cache, and play back from the beginning, frames are still dropped just moving the mouse around.
    I thought the NIC was to blame, but now it sounds as if it's the browser.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Flash version 11.0.1.152 here. But I haven't seen streaming problems with Flash videos in years.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well I get those dropped frames, even for the low res videos in Youtube. Up to 720 pretty much the same, 1080 a little worse.
    Perhaps it comes down to the HW in use within the PC being a factor. For example, I've the onboard Nvidia NIC,
    PS/2 mouse & keyboard, etc, etc.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I uninstalled the AMD cpu driver and the system reverted to the XP default. With this driver the cpu runs @ it's full clock speed the whole
    time, no power management. I played the youtube video @ 720 Bruno Mars "it will rain" official video in full screen with only 3
    dropped frames. It's better than before. I'll investigate further.
    Quote Quote  
  18. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    Let's keep in mind that the ACTUAL problem probably is in the stupid Flash Player itself.
    And to make things as clear as possible --- when I said

The damned plugin reports "dropped frames"
    I forgot to stress that, IN FACT, *no frames were dropped*,

regardless of what the plugin reported.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It's hard to say - not what I see. I notice a stutter in the playback as the reported dropped frames increase.
    It's one piece of software (the Flash Plugin) running inside another (Firefox, the host) . Both sides blame each other.
    Who knows where the problem actually is?
    Quote Quote  
  20. I just fixed this issue, as i was having it trying to watch video's in 1080p

rather SIMPLE fix.....

clear your browser cache.
    Quote Quote