VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello,
    I just did a full slow format of my 1tb hard drive... I see it has a recovery partition that is 14 gb's separate from the main 918gb's... Should I combine these? If so how do I do this? I have W7 Ultimate X64.... I tried a free partition wizard software... Couldn't get it to work... I will be using this 1tb drive just for storage only.... So I would like to have the 14 gbs combined.... Why does this recovery happen? My new SSD drive didn't do this when I installed fresh W7....

ThanksClick image for larger version

Name:	Partition.PNG
Views:	309
Size:	8.5 KB
ID:	9729
    Quote Quote  
  2. You don't actually need to use third-party software to remove this - Windows 7 is perfectly capable of doing it. What you can do is delete the F partition, then expand the E partition to fill the space it leaves behind (this is not the same as merging/combining partitions, which Windows itself cannot do).

Follow these steps:

1. Firstly, ensure there really is nothing on the F partition that you want to keep, including hidden files.
    2. Right-click Computer in the Start menu or desktop and choose Manage, then Storage and finally Disk Management. Alternatively, type diskmgmt.msc into the Search box and click the only entry that is returned.
    3. Click the disk entry in the list. A breakdown of the disk appears at the bottom of the Disk Management tool.
    4. Right-click the F partition graphic in the breakdown and choose Delete. This makes that partition into unallocated space (or free space if the drive is part of an extended partition, which isn't the case here).
    5. Right-click the E disk graphic and choose Extend. The E disk expands to fill up the unallocated space.

You should now have a single partition for your 1TB hard drive.
    Quote Quote  
  3. --
    Last edited by Wissen; 22nd Nov 2011 at 01:23. Reason: Duplicate posting
    Quote Quote