VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hey guys,

New to this forum but I have been looking around for answers before I post. I have a few questions.

From trawling these forums I learned that LG tvs do no support DTS audio through USB with MKV files, and that they need to be converted to AAC, and thanks to you guys I have become aware of MKV Merge and Popcorn for this task.

First Question: my copy of A Christmas Carol 3D will not even open on my LG TV through USB...stating Invalid file format.

Ignore the fact that the audio is DTS...my copy of Lion King 3D (for the girlfriend) ran, albeit with no sound, with the DTS audio file.

I have attached the Media Info to this post for you guys to take a look at.

Second Question:...I just bought this TV and it seems there is a lot of incompatability issues with it...do you recommend another tv in this range that will play everything without conversion and so on..if it exists?

Im looking for around 23" with USB input as I work on cruise ships and it needs to travel with me (hence why i would rather play my movies through the USB rather than taking loads of discs with me). I will have my PS3 with me but my understanding is this isnt able to play MKVs? I dont really want to mess with the original audio files as Im guessing this reduces the quality? When I get home from the ships I want to play the film through my home cinema setup in the original Master Audio.

Thanks for your help in advance people, you do a great job on here
    Image Attached Files
    Last edited by JordanQ; 20th Nov 2011 at 23:19.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    1. I guess you have tried remove compressed header with mkvtoolnix? Google remove compressed header mkv for details.
    2. I recommend a media player instead, http://www.iboum.com/net-media-players.php
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thanks Baldrick. Yes I'm aware of header compression already...that gave me a couple of days trouble before I finally found out about it on these very forums. However this isn't the issue. Before I found out about header compression, the mkv would be recognised as a movie file by my LG TV, but would only play for half a second or so before freezing and returning to the menu screen. This .MKV (A Christmas Carol) )shows as a file within the menu screen, but shows no resolution information or image in the preview window, just a broken file logo and states invalid file when I try to play it.

And Im looking at these Media Servers, they look like the way to go....but Im guessing these .mkv 3D files are too big to be streamed via wifi to the server? Any you recommend with a good feature/pricepoint ratio?

Thanks very much for your help
    Last edited by JordanQ; 21st Nov 2011 at 05:06.
    Quote Quote