VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    What do you think of the Canon VIXIA HF M40 Full HD Camcorder with HD CMOS Pro? Could a camera like this be used to shoot local small business TV commercials to be ran on local TV companies?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Talk to the ad agency or TV station about what they accept.

The HF M40 is a low end consumer camcorder. Under adequate light, it can make reasonable video but the ad will look home shot unless the lighting is professional. Audio will be poor.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by edDV View Post

The HF M40 is a low end consumer camcorder. Under adequate light, it can make reasonable video but the ad will look home shot unless the lighting is professional. Audio will be poor.

I was hoping you would reply since you seem to know so much about these issuses.

Here is what someone else said on a board I'm a member of that is about creating videos/ads for sale to small businesses.

For serious work, the best deal right now is the Canon VIXIA HF M40 Full HD Camcorder with HD CMOS Pro and 16GB Internal Flash Memory

This camera does include a wireless remote, shoots great video, even in low light, and has the newest Canon sensors used in their $1,500 camera. It is an excellent choice at $419.

If you don't like the Canon Vixia HF M40, is there one out there you do like? I recall I asked about camcorders six months ago and I remember you recommending a Canon. Since technology changes so much I figure I should ask again.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by HoosierGuy View Post

I was hoping you would reply since you seem to know so much about these issuses.

Here is what someone else said on a board I'm a member of that is about creating videos/ads for sale to small businesses.

For serious work, the best deal right now is the Canon VIXIA HF M40 Full HD Camcorder with HD CMOS Pro and 16GB Internal Flash Memory

This camera does include a wireless remote, shoots great video, even in low light, and has the newest Canon sensors used in their $1,500 camera. It is an excellent choice at $419.

If you don't like the Canon Vixia HF M40, is there one out there you do like? I recall I asked about camcorders six months ago and I remember you recommending a Canon. Since technology changes so much I figure I should ask again.
    Describe the kinds of TV commercials you are trying to make. Studio? Location? Budget? TV stations will have much higher tech standards. Cable advertising like Comcast Spotlight less so. Comcast will even shoot your commercial in many markets. Their pricing will vary by the number of spots you contract.

The typical camera used for shooting local commercials will be in the $3k to 25K range.

You would do best to contract this work out to someone with experience. The camera is a small part of the kit needed (e.g. lights and relfectors, camera support, external mics, editing equipment ...). If you are a non-profit, you may get help from a local JC film class.
    Last edited by edDV; 21st Nov 2011 at 17:24.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Sensor is important thing but , for example Canon XF100 , on the other end of the same line of Canon camcorders , same sensor, but you have full manual control of you image, different processing, it is more ready for color correcting, different lenses, and at the end it could be a big difference, day and night, whereas that bottom model of the same line has almost no manual controls and even different codec for the recorded footage. HF G10 would be much better you have manual settings there, but of course, price is different. That's what you pay for. But I agree that for the price (and especially now B&H have have a deal) it'd be a great camera into one's pocket, point and shoot.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Go with at least a Canon XA10.
    For the nth time, with the possible exception of certain Intel processors, I don't have/ever owned anything whose name starts with "i".
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    Would a Canon Vixia HF M40 allow me to shoot commercials like these?

http://www.lawyersgroup.com/attorney/view-our-commercials
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search PM

I looked up an old post where I was asking about cameras and you recommend the Canon Vixia HV40. Do you still recommend that camera?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/597424-REG/Canon_3686B001_VIXIA_HV40_High_Definition.html

The old thread with my old post - https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/335136-Want-to-Upgrade-my-Sony-Handycam
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The appeal of the HV series was it included decent manual audio level and video exposure controls including peak meters and zebra pattern that were only found on $2000 cams. Also the HDV MPeg2 format could be edited nicely on a low end Core 2 Duo. This meant a Prosumer like a wedding photographer or travel videographer could create a professional looking result with a pro audio track. No blown out whites or AGC audio that tags typical home shot movies even when the picture quality is adequate. The pro look is mostly about audio and lighting control and this cam* could deliver that at a sub $1000 price.

Today you need to move up to something like the Panasonic TM900 or Canon G10 to get similar features in AVCHD format plus you need a fast quad core minimum or better an i5/i7 to edit.

*HDV also is/was a good bridge format for those with DV format libraries and could double as an excellent wide DV cam and play DV tapes. It also, even today, uniquely offers live DV or MPeg2 HD streaming for webcasting that is not available in AVCHD format. AVCHD cameras only have analog or uncompressed HDMI live outputs.
    Last edited by edDV; 22nd Nov 2011 at 17:58.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by HoosierGuy View Post
    Would a Canon Vixia HF M40 allow me to shoot commercials like these?

http://www.lawyersgroup.com/attorney/view-our-commercials
    Those are all controlled studio shots and audio could be handled separate. To do all the video effects I suggest a full up i7 CPU running Grass Valley Edius software. You also need studio lighting, chroma key wall and good mics.

The HV40 would be better for this type of work for the reasons stated above. If would even allow you to go live to the net (Telestream Wirecast software) if that is a consideration.
    Last edited by edDV; 22nd Nov 2011 at 17:51.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Ed,

do you no longer recommend the canon hv40? at the price and features it looks like it could meet my needs
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by marksk918 View Post
    Ed,

do you no longer recommend the canon hv40? at the price and features it looks like it could meet my needs
    HV40 over M40 because of audio and live broadcast features.

Alt AVCHD cams would be Canon G10 or Panasonic TM900 at higher prices. These cams have manual audio control but no live out except HDMI. Better would be the XA10 class of cams which is similar to G10 but includes pro mic XLR jacks.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Have you considered a Canon T3i or D60 with Magic Lantern installed?

ML gives you zebras, full control over video bitrate, audio meters and a lot of other pro features. Also has a basic onscreen follow focus.

You can get a small HD monitor and hook it up to the HDMI port, and mount it to a rail rack.

For less than 2 grand, you'll look and BE professional.

The Canon DSLR's converted for pro production is the hottest cool thing down here in Lost Angels. It's like thumbing your nose at H'wood, making movies with cheap gear.

"We The People" are redefining the craft, and breaking the old greedy Lou Wasserman model down for the benefit of ALL voices. It's very exciting to be a part of.
    Last edited by budwzr; 11th Dec 2011 at 10:17.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Audio is still a problem with DSLRs. The audio extras get expensive. More than the OP's total budget.

IMO DSLR's make a poor camcorder for most work. Unless you are trying to duplicate film cameras with separate sound. The main appeal of the DSLR is short depth of field for shooting 24p.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Oh, OK, go get a cheap plastic camcorder then. Hahaha
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I've been trying to get the OP to buy a higher quality plastic camcorder

BTW, we discovered in another thread that the Panasonic SD90 in that price range does have manual audio control.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The problem with those Panasonic camcorders is they ONLY record 1080, no 720. So you've got to crop or else loose detail quality scaling it down if you want to work in 720.

Probably need a Gigamonster 16-Core computer too.

I learned the hard way the Panny competes in the market by dropping features, not adding them.
    Quote Quote