VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Just loaded Win 7 Pro on an HP XW8400 with two SAS SCSI drives (146). Only one hard drive shows up in my "computer". At the same time, both SCSI drives show up in hardware properties. Should not both drives show in "My Computer"?
    Depends what the definition of the word inhale is.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    not if they were new drives. you need to partition and format them to get a drive letter. widows install would only have done a boot drive not both.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    How can I partition and format a drive I can't see? Any details/specifics on what I should do? I had two drives showing earlier and then I went in and changes RAID ROM settings . I may have really screwed thing up. I may have to go back to the RAID setup.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    administrative tools/computer management/disc management. scroll down and right click on the "missing" drive, you should be able to partition then format.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Problem is that only the C: drive shows up. I did find in the setup that the secondary drive is 'not synced'. I have it set up as an Integrated Mirror Array. The controller is an LSI "SAS 1064" I'm thinking it's a bad drive. I have tried diferent RAID setups and no go. I tried to format the drive in another system but it recognized it as a cd drive and not a hard drive? I'm lost. I don't know if you could format a SCSI drive on a non SCSI system anyway.
    Last edited by videobread; 17th Nov 2011 at 21:19.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Think I got it, after the third Win 7 install. I was setting up IM RAID 1 (Integrated Mirror) when I really needed an IS RAID 0 (Integrated Stripping). Also, I had to go into BIOS and sync the drives. That took about an hour of chugging away 1% at a time. Still don't really know if this is the setup I want. I will play with it for a while and see.
    Quote Quote