VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi,
    I wanted to buy a DVD that is coded for region 2. My mac is set to read region 1. I was hoping to just rip it with Mac the Ripper, without playing it on DVD player (since it can only change its region settings 5 times).

Will my mac be able to read the DVD (without changing the settings) so it can be ripped?

Thanks for the help.
    Quote Quote  
  2. It can be done I believe, if you disable DVD auto-play in System Preferences. This stops the region changer appearing automatically and Mac the Ripper should be able to read it (note that this has worked for me in the past, but didn't for a mac-owning friend in the same situation. It's worth a try if you haven't already done so).

1. Go into System Preferences > CDs & DVDs and set "When You Insert a Video DVD" to "Ignore".
    2. Launch Mac the Ripper
    3. Insert the disc and (hopefully) you will be able to proceed with the ripping without being pestered by the region changer.

Good luck!
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I know nothing about Mac but I do know that if the disc you plan on buying is not only Region 2....it is also most likely PAL Video Format. USA players and televisions don't handle PAL Video Format very well without proper planning on your part.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I was hoping to rip it and then use Mpeg Streamclip so that I could copy it onto my iPod. But I'd probably want to eventually watch it on a bigger screen and looking at other posts, it looks like I wouldn't be able to just burn it onto a blank dvd to watch on my tv. However, would it be possible to burn it and play it on a computer (without having to change the region settings)?

Also, do region free/NTSC/PAL dvd players really work? Amazon has some claiming that they play both PAL and NTSC as well as all regions, but is that a waste (ie: I need a TV that can play PAL/NTSC)?

Sorry for all the questions, but I'm not the most tech savvy individual. Once again, thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  5. I was hoping to rip it and then use Mpeg Streamclip so that I could copy it onto my iPod. But I'd probably want to eventually watch it on a bigger screen and looking at other posts, it looks like I wouldn't be able to just burn it onto a blank dvd to watch on my tv. However, would it be possible to burn it and play it on a computer (without having to change the region settings)?

Also, do region free/NTSC/PAL dvd players really work? Amazon has some claiming that they play both PAL and NTSC as well as all regions, but is that a waste (ie: I need a TV that can play PAL/NTSC)?

Sorry for all the questions, but I'm not the most tech savvy individual. Once again, thanks!
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Quite a few Philips players have a menu option to convert PAL to NTSC "on the fly".....and quite a few Philips players can be hacked to ignore the region code. Years ago there were many more players capable of doing this....now there are NOT very many.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by Jess021 View Post
    3 questions in one

- about region free: hech54 answered : you have to hack the player (notice: this operation is illegal in some countries -mine for example)

- about play PAL and NTSC: hech54 answered too. Cheap DVD-Players sold in USA with "no-brand", played PAL and NTSC. I don't know the actual market state in US. In Europe, most of DVD-Player still allow to play both standards. Plays = broadcast video to TV BUT if the "region code" wasn't hacked, no hope to play a region 2 on a DVD-Player with region 1

- about TV: no need to have a special TV: the DVD-Player outputs an "hacked video" (eg: not a real NTSC on PAL tv, but a converted video, compliant with TV signal specifications: technically, it's a conversion on the fly, like a pulldown flag). So you will have no concern with TV And newer tv -HD ones- are compliant with all framerate: from PAL to NTSC.

bye
    For DVD, iPad, HD, connected TV, … iMovie & FCPX? MovieConverter-Studio 3 (01/24/2015) - Handle your camcorder's videos? even in 60p or 60i? do a slow-motion? MovieCam.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Jess021 - PCs don't care about PAL/NTSC and will play anything that a region code doesn't prevent them from playing. Note that the free VLC media player program can play all DVDs without regard to region codes and there is a Mac version.

Region free DVD players SHOULD work fine, assuming that the seller does not lie. It's not common, but we have had a few reports of sellers selling "region free" players that were not region free. I bought the Philips DVP3560 from Best Buy a few months ago and followed the instructions under the DVD Players section of this website to make it region free. Note that if you ever update the firmware on a player you have previously made region free that the firmware update may break region free mode. Finally note too that some NTSC DVDs sold in North America have a way to prevent playback on region free players so if you encounter such discs, simply switch the region on the DVD player back to 1 and they'll play fine. The hack on the DVD3560 allows you to change regions at will to any value between 0 and 6.
    Quote Quote