VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    The Opteron 6200 series processors, previously known by the code-name "Interlagos," integrates two of the dies used for the desktop processor into a multi-chip module packing up to 16 cores.
    holy hotcakes! they don't say but it's got to be at least a 250 watt part?

the sad part is it's comparison to an intel server part.
    the Opteron 6282 SE's performance per core was actually only 61% of that of the Xeon processor
    http://arstechnica.com/business/news/2011/11/amds-16-core-bulldozer-pushes-into-the-server-room.ars
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  2. And the new Intel Sandy Bridge E processors are now available:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/5091/intel-core-i7-3960x-sandy-bridge-e-review-keeping-t...high-end-alive

The 8 core, 16 thread, Xeon versions will be available soon.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    i couldn't believe the new sandy bridge cpu's need a new chipset.
    --
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by aedipuss View Post
    i couldn't believe the new sandy bridge cpu's need a new chipset.
    Because they've gone to quad channel memory.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    ok. and where is one to find this ddr4 stuff?
    --
    Quote Quote  
  6. It's not DDR 4, it's four channels of DDR 3 for twice the bandwidth (of two channels on earlier SB CPUs).
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    oh god, more marketing mumbo jumbo. the memory didn't get any faster, but now i would assume you have to have all 4 memory module slots filled on a brand new chipset motherboard.
    --
    Quote Quote  
  8. The CPU can access memory twice as fast as before. That's not important for desktop apps but it's critical for certain types of HPC and server apps.

My guess these were originally meant to be 8 core server parts but there was a design defect that effected VT-d I/O:

http://arstechnica.com/business/news/2011/11/sandy-bridge-e-hits-the-market-with-more-...re-threads.ars

So Intel degraded them to 6 core parts for the desktop (market segmentation means they can't have desktop parts as powerful as their server parts) where they don't consider VT-d I/O to be important. That lets them sell the parts rather than throwing them out. And they get to kick AMD while it's down, winning every single benchmark definitively.
    Last edited by jagabo; 14th Nov 2011 at 20:51.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    maybe but that would require the "old" sandy bridge to have been limited by memory speed because the processor isn't running any faster. can't say i ever saw that published anywhere.
    At the core level, Sandy Bridge E is no different than Sandy Bridge. It doesn't clock any higher, L1/L2 caches remain unchanged and per-core performance is identical to what Intel launched earlier this year
    --
    Quote Quote  
  10. More cores, more bandwidth.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Every new CPU requires a new motherboard and new chipset,anybody notice a pattern?
    Quote Quote  
  12. Yes. Forcing you to buy a new Intel chipset and new Intel Motherboard to go along with your new Intel CPU means more money in Intel's pocket. That's' what we get with a near monopoly.
    Last edited by jagabo; 14th Nov 2011 at 21:14.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Makes you wonder why Intel doesn't make a full line of motherboards and cut Asus,Gigabyte,and others out the market.
    Quote Quote  
  14. They need to maintain the perception of competition to keep the FTC off their back.
    Quote Quote  
  15. In CPU and GPU department there are only 2 firms ( realistically i don't count Via and Motorola or S3 matrox and the rest ) and that is known as duopoly
    (from Greek dyo / δυο (two) + polein / πωλειν (to sell))as is a specific type of oligopoly where only two producers exist in one market. In reality, this definition is generally used where only two firms have dominant control over a market
    More cores, more bandwidth.
    true but it depends also on the speed, higher speed can also gain bandwidth ( remember intel cpus used to like more memory speed while amd liked more tight timings in the past)

The sad thing is that multicore concept against speed is old almost more than 50 years old ( when big multitasking servers in companies like bell and ibm were constructed to work in parallel) but it mostly depends on software and that is were it gets interesting, software is slowly catching up and till recently even 4 core processors had very little usage in personal computers and every day programs the same goes to 64bit computing ( anybody remembers Nintendo's console N64).

One interesting thing is that silicon as medium ( which is used today for almost every electronic chips) has its own physical constrains and it can't be shrink forever, that's why intel and amd abounded officially going over 4 ghz and started to multiply the cores
    Quote Quote