VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ok i'm looking on the net for a cable or a converter to connect older game consoles to a PC monitor. For example, using RF, Composite, S-Video or Component to VGA.

But most of those cable or adapters/converters seem to be complete crap, unless i pay like 80$+ for one. Can someone suggest me a cheaper device that will work fine for me?

Example: connecting a Colecovision, Sega Genesis, NES, SNES, Gamecube, PS2, XBox....to VGA (using their old-tech cables such as RF, Composite, etc...).

This device must have a separate audio-out, as i would like to plug in speakers to have the sound! (duh)

The point to that is i have unused PC monitors here, one is somehow standard old/classic 5:4 ratio, and the other one is 16:9, that i can put vertically for vertical shoot'em-up games. And i'm planning to bring them to videogames collectors meetings here, so we can plug old games consoles on them, without the sheer weight of those huge CRT TVs!

I left out the Sega Dreamcast out of that examples list, as i DO have a VGA-cable made for it, so i'm all set for this one already, but i still need a converter for those other older consoles.

Thank you for helping me!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    see? there are always bad feedbacks saying it's crap and doesn't work as advertized. It seem like there's no company that will make a quality adapter like this. I mean...it shouldn't cost you more then 40-50$ now, LCD monitors are getting cheaper, why someone should pay 100$ for an adapter like this, it would feel like i'm being scammed for this adapter, when i paid 180$ for my brand-new LED-backlit monitor.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by RaptorZX3 View Post
    it shouldn't cost you more then 40-50$
    Actually, it should cost a lot. It requires a video capture device, a CPU to convert formats, and a video display device. People who are expecting high resolution from a composite source have unrealistic expectations.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    so....if i want to play older games, i should be better to just take a decent computer and play those ROMs on emulator while having the screen on Portrait mode?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Yes, you'll get a better picture using an emulator. Game mechanics might not be as accurate though.
    Quote Quote  
  6. The Model 1 Genesis, The Model 1 Sega Master System, and the Turbo Duo all can output RGB @ 240p, iirc.
    I've been looking into getting the RGB Output of them into a HDTV somehow, and have found a lot of info on the web.

I still haven't decided on a method, but you can get the same info if you include terms like "RGB" and "Component" along with the classic console names while googling.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Assuming your spare monitors aren't more than 19", suggest checking out your local Craigslist or simliar site for monitors with composite in. In my area (Hawaii), I see lots of people selling off 17" - 19" LCD monitors for $30-$40. Turn around and sell your monitors for $15-$25 and you're about $40-$50 net cost.

Of course you'll have to do a bit of research to figure out which monitors have composite in, but as Jagabo states, the requirements for high quality conversion = $$$.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i would need a whole LCD TV then, with RCA/Component/VGA/HDMI built-in, so i guess there's a converter already built-in as well. But since i want to use my PC monitor(s), i guess i would need an external converter.

I did a test with MAME and some vertical shoot'em up games, and i have to enable v-sync and all that good stuff so the vertical scroll won't look weird and broken.

So yeah i guess going with a PC i already have + vertical stand (i got it now) + monitor + emulators + XBox 360 controller is the cheapest way to go, since i only had to buy that 3rd-party stand. Emulation can't be perfect in some games sometimes, but that's a risk.
    Quote Quote