VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I've been transferring my workout collection in VHS format to DVD then to AVI slowly over the last 3 years or so and have posted a couple of messages resolving issues in the past (i.e., https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/305283-%5BResolved%5D-Making-2-AVIs-the-same-so-tha...29#post1874129). My DVD Recorder finally quit, though. The tray just won't open/close any more. So I decided to go the disk-less route and look for a hardware/software solution that would allow me to go analogue to PC, directly.

Last night I bought a Dazzle Video Creator Plus HD but have found serious synch issues. Unlike my DVD Recorder output which I would then correct skippiness with VideoReDo, the Dazzle output video/audio has serious problems and is just too skippy to be watchable. VideoReDo doesn't fix the problems unlike with VOBs from DVD recorder and just exacerbates the synch issues. I tried output from 2 types of sources, recorded video with more the unusual choppiness to begin with (which DVD recorder and VideoReDo worked well in past) to actual commercial VHS workout tapes that still play smoothly. Same results so problem lies with the capture.

The thing is the Pinnacle app previews the playing VHS tape just fine. It's the instant the capturing button is pressed that the preview becomes like sporadic screenshot capture and is very laggy, jumpy and choppy and doesn't show smooth video. Sound gets _completely_ out of synch very quickly.

Is there an alternative to the software, then, anyone know? I was trying Windows Movie Maker but it seems to output solely to WMV, which would mean more unwanted video quality loss through re-encoding to correct format. Since I use Womble (best source to use=MPG2 or VOB) and then AviDemux, need capture method to output to MPEG2.

Any ideas? I would prefer not to have to buy a new DVD Recorder as 1. will one day will go to Blu-Ray, 2. disks are required for the recorder. Would much prefer the analogue-to-PC option avoiding recording to disks completely, as Dazzle is supposed to do well so just need to know a good capturing app that would work with the Dazzle hardware.

Thanks.
    Last edited by Diana (Cda); 22nd Dec 2011 at 10:51.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    First question would be what are your PC specs?
    You have very little listed in your profile.
    Murphy's law taught me everything I know.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I wanted to come back to update, I ended up returning the Dazzle right away. It doesn't work very well and my DVD recorder seemed to give me more control. In theory, it sounded great but I wasn't happy with it, esp. for the price.

Fortunately, though the tray in my DVD recorder is going, I treat it gently and it's worked so far in staying closed eventually. Once it's warmed up it seems to work alright. As long as it lasts till I convert all my old VHS', then I'm happy. In the meantime, I saved a ton of money!

Cheers.
    Quote Quote