VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Verbatim DVD+R DL is the only reliable double layer media available in the US. Memorex DVD+R DL is not as good.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Memorex discs SUCK big time. They ALWAYS have. Even back in the day when most of the major manufacturers used the very best producers to make DVD media, Memorex was crap. I'm not saying that they are the worst discs ever, but they're certainly the worst discs I ever bought. I bought a 25 pack - once. Had quite a few coasters. Every burn I made to a Memorex disc I ended up replacing with a Taiyo Yuden or Verbatim disc.

Look, this is not rocket science. You cannot have your cake and eat it too. Either you care enough to buy what you know is good media or you do not. The ONLY DL media we recommend around here is Verbatim DVD+R DL. And if you want to avoid Made in India Verbatims then you should buy only the 6x and faster ones or the DataLifePlus ones (both made in Singapore).
    Quote Quote  
  3. I'd be willing to bet the MID is either CMCMAG or RITEK.

Dual-layer media is inherently less reliable than single-layer. Quality-control is, consequently, especially important. Most members here will say use Verbatim only for DVD+R DL.

I've used both Ritek and CMC DVD+R DL, and the results bear out that recommendation. It depends somewhat on the burner, but with an LG DVD burner I got ~ 20% coasters with CMC, for example, ~ 15% with a Lite-On burner. Riteks about the same. That's burning at 4x; try 8x and the failure rate goes a lot higher. You'll catch some bad ones BTW, using verification, that apparently burned successfully.

It's your money, but I'd say no, not a good deal unless they're practically giving them away.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Even if the memorex dual layer burn good and verify there's a good chance your dvd player wont read the disc after the layer break.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Even "burn good" is a misnomer.
    The drive simply doesn't report failures, because it's not serious enough to cause a coaster.
    But it's still a dud -- always was, always will be.

Memorex is not a quality name brand, and they use cheap outsourced manufacturers.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  6. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I'd get more value for my money if i used a $20 dollar bill to light my cuban cigar while i am drinking straight bourbon out of my crystal glass
    Quote Quote