VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    I saw some of the Steve Jobs biography books today at a club store, but no one was browsing them, and there seemed to be plenty on hand. They even stuck a few over by the iPods.

On one of the other displays were a few different tablet devices like Xoom, Galaxy, Kindle Fire's, and now Barnes and Noble has their own Kindle that does more apps than Amazon.

And I remember Steve's last words included anger toward Google for "stealing" his technology when they built Android.

As I looked at the two display tables, I thought it Pretty ironic and surrealistic.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Correct me if I'm wrong but weren't there TABLET pcs well before the IPAD? Granted not as sleek or anything but weren't there? So its not like they were truly revolutionary or original. Just flashy.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    No, you're correct. There were early tablets out for a while before the IPad.

And the concept of client/server computing has been around even longer. And that's what Apps are, slim applications that depend on the internet. They're half cloud, half local, a hybrid if you will.

That's what Chrome is all about too. These concepts are age old.

Apple just created a few very simpleton applications, put them in a way overpriced slick package, and branded it as "cool". No real innovation, just awesome marketing.

The real credit for innovation and grass roots "cool" people are the Linux people. The Free Software Foundation. Apple wants to corral their customers into a locked in money machine, And FSF wants to free everyone from that.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tablet_personal_computer

A tablet personal computer or tablet PC is a tablet-sized computer that also has the key features of a full-size personal computer. A tablet PC is essentially a small laptop computer, equipped with a rotatable touchscreen as an additional input device, and running a standard (or lightly adapted) PC operating system like Windows or Linux.
    The term was made popular with the Microsoft Tablet PC concept presented by Microsoft in 2001.[1] Today, the term tablet is also used to refer to computer-like devices operated primarily by a touch screen but not intended to run general PC operating systems or applications.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The problem with MS is that they try to add the "coolness" on the display case and box, not in the actual product. Example; The Zune.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by budwzr
    Apple just created a few very simpleton applications, put them in a way overpriced slick package, and branded it as "cool". No real innovation, just awesome marketing.
    I agree there.

Thanks for the pic and post zzyzzxx.

that they try to add the "coolness" on the display case and box, not in the actual product. Example; The Zune.
    Actually the Zune had an fm radio before the ipod. And I think the zune hd had an oled screen before anyone else.

It's problem was too little too late to make an impact.

I like my zune 30gb just fine (non hd model). Does want I want it to.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yeah, the Zune had some awesome marketing, and I think you could share music Zune to Zune, or something like that, but as you say, nothing really groundbreaking.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The reason iPad is awesome is the touchscreen accuracy and battery life.
    Most other touchscreen devices fall flat on their ass -- no comparison, not even close.

The Steve Jobs bio book is terrible. It's plodding, painful to read, and has the writing quality of a high school student essay. I flipped through it at a Walmart display, and put it back after stumbling over several really poorly written paragraphs. I'm not familiar with this author, but he really sucks at writing from what I saw. I'd rather read a college textbook.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    the Zune had some awesome marketing, and I think you could share music Zune to Zune,
    I think they called it "squirt" for some stupid reason. I only did it once but it does/did work well - wireless sharing.

Oh and I can't remember the restrictions but I think it was limited to 3 plays if it was purchased music. But I think it was unlimited if you ripped it yourself instead of store bought - don't remember the particulars.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by budwzr View Post
    The problem with MS is that they try to add the "coolness" on the display case and box

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yeah, hahaha, I saw that a long time ago, that's what geeks like to see, but they didn't do that with the Zune.

That is a funny parody though.
    Last edited by budwzr; 11th Nov 2011 at 21:29.
    Quote Quote