VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I want to burn a AVCHD file (1920 x 1080) to a standard DVD disc, not a Blu-ray disc. However Vegas movie studio 11 does not provide any option for this. It only allows 720 resolution option. The help file states that it is possible to burn a AVCHD file to a dtandard DVD disc however the disc will only be playable in bu-ray players. I have not be able to create such a disc. I have both DVD and blu-ray burners. Running windows 7 ultimate OS on a 64-bit machine.

Can you help me?

Thanks in advance,
    Malcolm
    Quote Quote  
  2. Some more notes, folks. Within Vegas movie studio, I can create a *.img file and on my new computer, the Roxio burner will create a nice, playable AVCHD movie on the DVD using a Sony Blue ray player for TV. But I do not want to have to go outside of Vegas. Thus, anything you could suggest would be so much appreciated! I have been battling this for several weeks now. The Panasonic software that came with the camera ( HDC-SD90 camera, a beautiful camera by the way). works well on my Alienware computer but as I said above, I cannot get this to burn from within Vegas. Note that I have a BR burner on my computer. Should I disconnect this and re-install Vegas 11? Again any suggestions would be so much appreciated! This is my first post on Videohelp.
    Malcolm
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    So you want a 720x480 interlace DVD?

Is your Vegas MS Version 10 or 11 Platinum? If you want 1920x1080 encode Sony AVC witth m2ts container, then author in Multiavchd.

Need to know your Vegas and framerate details to add more.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  4. Thank you edDV
    I have the Vegas Platinum version. Not sure of framerate. I think it is 60. I AM new at this, so I know that I do encode the AVC with m2ts but not sure how to author in multiavchd? My big problem is burning the AVCHD on an ordinary 4.7 GB DVD. I can do it if I leave Vegas and use Roxio or Nero. But I would like to do it from within the Sony program. Looking forward to your reply. Malcolm
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If you have VMS11 Platinum, you should have DVDA Studio? Check what happens if you go to File / Properties and there Disc Projecties and set Disc Format to Blu-ray Disc and Target media size to 4,70 GB ? I haven't done it myself, but I read this suggested somewhere.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I've got VMS Platinum v10 so can't answer for v11. Try as vkmast suggests.

An "AVCHD" disc can use MPeg2, h.264 (AVC) or VC1 plus AC3 audio but must use the m2ts container*. The authoring solution (DVDA or MultiAVCHD) creates a BDMV file structure that can include menus. The main difference between an AVCHD and BLu-Ray disc is max bitrate and a simplified menu structure. The Blu-Ray standand limits playback of DVD media to 2x speed or 18 Mb/s max but some newer players work fine at 25 Mb/s (HDV) or 24 Mb/s (AVCHD v1 top rate) by spinning the disc at 2.8x speed**. You need to test your player but if sending a DVDR AVCHD disc to others, best to keep peak bit rate below 18 Mb/s. BD media tops out as high as 50 Mb/s.

I posted earlier a minimal procedure for HDV and AVCHD camcorder formats to "AVCHD disc" using MultiAVCHD. The program can replace the container if necessary (e.g. HDV mts to m2ts) and create simple menus. It can also re-encode MPeg2 or AVC to lower bit rates using x264 for longer play times if desired. In your case, your Sony AVC (m2ts container) files should work directly without re-encode. The authoring program will create the BDMV/STREAM/xxx.mts file structure and optionally add menus.

MultiAVCHD tutorial
    http://multiavchd.deanbg.com/tutorial.php

* In Vegas, encode Sony AVC using Blu-Ray template.

** Expect increased player noise when playing DVDR media at >2x speed.

PS: Forgot to mention, MultiAVCHD can either output the BDMV folder or can use IMGBURN to burn the DVD.
    Last edited by edDV; 7th Nov 2011 at 16:22.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Just did a test with VMS 11 Platinum, Tools / Burn Disc / Blu--ray Disc. Here's what I got ( I'm in a PAL country).

[IMG]file:///C:/Users/Acer/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot.png[/IMG]
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	AVCtry1.PNG
Views:	2628
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	9488  

Click image for larger version

Name:	bdinfo.PNG
Views:	2758
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	9489  

Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Now I only had something to test it with

edit: on computer Win7 WMP plays nicely anyway (no sound), VLC not so well (w/ sound).
    Last edited by vkmast; 7th Nov 2011 at 16:06. Reason: more info
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Although PCM audio is legal for Blu-Ray, usually AC3 224 Kbps is used so that more bit rate can be directed to video, or more minutes can be recorded.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    That's true, of course. In VMS 11 Plat. I did not find a way to change the audio template in the above.
    Quote Quote  
  11. that's the thing , PCM audio only from Vegas's timeline to disc export, for a good job you always need more tools, I guess

better yet, try to establish concept without optical discs, they give you some limitations and you need back ups on hardisks anyway ...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by _Al_ View Post
    that's the thing , PCM audio only from Vegas's timeline to disc export, for a good job you always need more tools, I guess

better yet, try to establish concept without optical discs, they give you some limitations and you need back ups on hardisks anyway ...
    I doubt that is true, at least not in Pro. AC3 encodiing is probably there. MultiAVCHD may allow PCM-> AC3 if all else fails.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by vkmast View Post
    That's true, of course. In VMS 11 Plat. I did not find a way to change the audio template in the above.
    What is under the arrow in the audio format settings in your image above?
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by edDV View Post
    Originally Posted by _Al_ View Post
    that's the thing , PCM audio only from Vegas's timeline to disc export, for a good job you always need more tools, I guess

I doubt that is true, at least not in Pro. AC3 encodiing is probably there. MultiAVCHD may allow PCM-> AC3 if all else fails.
    Tools / Burn Disc / Blu--ray Disc ... for audio there is just PCM choice ....
    sure there is a quite a list of settings under Render As....but no disc at once then ...
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    In VMS 11 Platinum there's only the PCM audio option, in VPro 11 there's also the Dolby Digital AC-3 Pro (192Kbps, according to template 'Description'). This under Tools / Burn Disc / Blu-ray Disc (Sony AVC/MVC).
    In Tools / Burn Disc / DVD (MPEG-2) I find only the PCM option (VMS11Plat/VP10&11).
    I agree totally with the back-up thing of course, but sometimes I (and the OP probably) need the optical disks too. For now at least, I can live with some of the limitations
    Last edited by vkmast; 8th Nov 2011 at 05:45.
    Quote Quote