VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have a question I have these HD MP4 files which I was burning off of my PC onto a blu ray disc in data format just for backup. Problem is I can't replay the movies in there original format straight from the burned data disc. I can copy the files back to my hard drive, and play them just fine. If I try to play them from the Blu Ray disc the video lags, as if it's going in slow motion in certain spots. Also it kinda freeze's about a second then starts to play once again normal for a couple seconds then back to slow motion or short pause's before it returns to normal. I've tried two different burners A Sony, and now I have a Pioneer both do the same. I've also tried playback from VLC, SMPLayer, Media Player Classic, Powerdvd9, and Nero. All still have this issue, I'm lost of where to troubleshoot from now considering the files play fine when on the hard drive. If the pc was to slow I figure Id have this issue playing them from the hard drive as well but I don't. But burned just as a data disc, and replaying back to the computer Im having issues.
    Quote Quote  
  2. There are a million threads here about this. Some Blu-ray players only accept certain resolutions like 1920x1080 and 1280x720. Most Blu-ray players do not support all the h.264 encoding options. They're typically limited certain profiles and levels:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H.264/MPEG-4_AVC#Profiles
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H.264/MPEG-4_AVC#Levels

Many won't play AC3 audio in MP4.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thanks
    I see a few post about people not being able to play MP4 files on there standalone players, and ps3's etc. But I was talking about playing through my pc's blu-ray burner that burned the files. I figured the software that plays these files on my pc fine, could decode them straight from the blu-ray disc as long as it was being played through my pc drive that burned the files. Just like when you burn a data disc for backup. Example would be a few xvid movies, mixed with alot of other files you wanted to back up, without converting the avi files to a compliant dvd that would be playable in any standalone dvd player. You just burn them as is, basically for pc playback only. Then say you wanna watch one of these files straight from the dvd non converted as is. You have no problems replaying these straight from your pc's dvd burner in data disc format, back through the pc. Seems it's opposite for HD MP4 files correct? Only way to watch them would be put the disc back into the burner, and copy them back to the hard drive each time correct? Otherwise watch them skipping and lagging correct from the data disc, through vlc, powerdvd, kmplayer etc.

If you can please guide me to some threads where others have had this issue I've searched, but only came up with standalones, and ps3's having issues with playback of MP4's. I haven't found any threads dealing with pc burners etc.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    if a file plays on a pc from a pc hard drive it will play from a blu-ray disc. there is no difference, it's the exact same data.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by zombie1 View Post
    I was talking about playing through my pc's blu-ray burner that burned the files.
    Ah, sorry. I thought you were using a set-top Blu-ray player.

There are a few possibilities:

The video and audio may be badly multiplexed. Optical media is very slow seeking. So the audio associated with each frame of video has close to it for the player to access it properly. If they get too far apart the drive will have to seek back and forth across the disc to get the audio and video chunks. This isn't a problem on hard drives where seek times are much smaller, typically tens of ms vs hundreds of ms for optical discs.

The bitrate could be too high for the drive/disc. You probably aren't exceeding the max bitrate for Blu-ray discs (about 54 Mb/s) overall but you may have peaks over that rate. Or if the drive is having problems reading the disc (bad media, scratches, dirty) it will slow down.
    Quote Quote  
  6. I was thinking media. What Brand and model (Part number) media are you using. Not the LTH Verbatims. I only use the HTL Verbatims.
    If I'd known I was going to live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself.
    Quote Quote