VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I've had my Plextor for as long as I can remember. Never really play much via the drive and only burn video if I need to send it to someone who wants to play it on their home system.

I normally go with 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it.' but I've noticed that my system isn't responding to my drive very well. I pop in a DVD and it takes a while for it to read the data (To be displayed in Win explorer.). I don't know if it's the drive or my OS. I will know more if it's the OS on Sunday when I do a fresh install of Win 7.

If a new drive is needed, what's good right now? I'm a bit clueless...
    SmileSmile
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Lots of disagreement on that. I've got both an LG and a Pioneer BD burner in my PC. I prefer the Pioneer slightly but we've had posts here where some people say that Pioneer is no longer what they used to be.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I'm satisfied with my LG WH12LS30. It's well thought-of at MyCE (formerly CDFreaks). It burns the cheaper RITEK.BR2 (RiData), CMCMAGBA3 (Titan, Philips) discs quite well. No coasters for over 70 each so far.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827136226

One little niggle about it: It can booktype DVD+Rs to DVD-ROM, but loses the setting when the computer reboots. So it must be reset. Good luck.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    The Pioneer blu ray drives still seem to be good quality drives unlike their current crop of dvd drives, so I wouldn't hesitate to get the Pioneer 206 if you can afford it. The LG that fritzi93 linked to is also a good drive.
    Quote Quote  
  5. For about $110 on Newegg sometimes you can get an ext BR writer. Sometimes come with free disks. It's probably cheaper than you paid for your Plextor

Your other one is probably slow cause it's laser is not clean anymore.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I prefer Pioneer for BD burners, mainly because I've had no problems with mine. It's an older BDR-203. Over a hundred BD burns so far. I have a Sony DVD burner, so I rarely use the BD burner for DVD burns.
    Quote Quote  
  7. http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-BDR-S06J-BK-Blu-ray-Disc-Writer/dp/B0044GJRTG/ref=sr_1_1...0501535&sr=8-1

and

http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-BDR-206DBK-Internal-Blu-ray-Writer/dp/B004ILKH64/ref=sr_...5&sr=8-1-fkmr0

The first is crazy expensive in the U.S but in Japan it's half the price. The second one is about the same price. I'm having trouble figuring out what the differences are...
    SmileSmile
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I don't even have an HD-TV yet.....or a Blu Ray player....
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It would seem to be a common problem with Plextor drives as they get older. I have two PX-712A's and both of them take much longer periods of time to recognize a disc in the drive than they used to.

I too am wanting to jump into blu-ray but mostly for the 25/50GB data storage capabilities rather than for movies. However I am leaning more towards a slim notebook internal drive and was wondering if anyone had any experience with one of these. There only seem to be a few models: Panasonic, Sony, and LG... no Pioneer in notebook drives. The Panasonic is the cheapest and gets a 5-star rating on Amazon, the others don't have much written about them, so maybe I'll try the Panasonic unless someone convinces me otherwise.
    Lyric writing at its finest:
    "She blew my nose and then she blew my mind" - Honky Tonk Woman (Rolling Stones)
    Quote Quote  
  10. I think the Plextor BD-R drives are just rebadged Pioneers anyway. I don't think Plextor has made any drives "in house" for quite a while. They were zee best in the CD-RW era when they built their own drives, but now its all rebadged stuff.
    Quote Quote