VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi
    I am thinking of upgrading my PC since it is not fast enough for the transcoding I wanted to from my PC tuner to videos I could archive and then playback on my PC. I am presently playing many videos on my PC to my new big-screen television with its with very good old 901 Bose speakers attached which are two channel stereo, but tremendous in sound quality. I have sometimes played some DVDs on my new TV from my DVD player which has virtual surround sound from my two speaker set up which creates an effect I very much like. So when I do my new PC build I would very much like to have virtual surround sound. I found the company called DTS claims the products on very good in creating virtual surround sound in this feature is available on selected motherboards. my question is is this the only company doing virtual surround sound for motherboards? Also separate sound cards? And is the Asus brand of motherboards the only ones who had it?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    with only 2 speakers it is only possible to create a flat 2d sound stage. left right and center. and even that is difficult with speakers like bose that distort the directionality and tone of the sound. granted the 901's can produce massive amounts of sound but no one ever claimed they were accurate. fake 3 dimensional dts using 2 speakers is not going to sound at all like real 5.1, or 7.1 audio.

you can pick up 5.1 speakers for a pc fairly cheap and a decent HD sound card, or an onboard HD chip like asus.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007679%20600010685&IsNo...eId=1&name=5.1
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote