VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. Everything I say is false koberulz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I've got a 4.2 GB m2v file, and a 282 MB ac3 file, yet Encore insists a timeline containing these two elements will be 4.94 GB, which pushes it above the acceptable size for a single-layer disc.

Given that it's not transcoding anything, I have no idea where this extra size is coming from. I don't particularly want to run HCEnc again, as it took ten hours last time (which in itself is ridiculous), so is there any other way to fix this? What size should I be making my files in the future?
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Have you tried output(to the hdd) and see how big it actually gets?

Remember that DVD VOB has some overhead ~5% but 4.94GB sounds a bit much.

You could also shrink it later with dvd shrink.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Everything I say is false koberulz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    4.90 GB all up. Still no idea where the extra size is coming from - if it's not transcoding anything (which it isn't), then surely the output should be 4.2 GB?

EDIT: Encore claims 4.90, but the ISO is only 4.56. Windows Media Player and Media Center both just display the menu when I try to play the timeline (but the audio from the timeline plays), PowerDVD displays most of the screen green with glitchy bits of video at the sides...what's going on?
    Last edited by koberulz; 1st Nov 2011 at 04:25.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Everything I say is false koberulz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    The VOB files play fine, and it previews fine in Encore. Despite only being 4.56 GB, it won't burn to a single-layer disc, and DVD Shrink says it can't compress it.

Is there a better way than HCEnc to turn an AVS file into an m2v file? HCEnc forced me to guess at a decent size for the footage, which I obviously did incorrectly, and then took an absurd ten hours to convert it. Last time I did this, I used VirtualDub to get a Lagarith AVI file, then converted that to m2v with TMPGEnc because Adobe hates Lagarith files for some reason, and it was still quicker than that.
    Last edited by koberulz; 1st Nov 2011 at 05:25.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Use a bitrate calculator to figure out what bitrate to specify in HcEnc. Use DVD Shrink to shrink your current video_ts folder.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Everything I say is false koberulz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Use a bitrate calculator to figure out what bitrate to specify in HcEnc. Use DVD Shrink to shrink your current video_ts folder.
    I set a target file size, not a bitrate. Set it at 4.2 GB, figured I'd be fine...apparently not, because the timeline containing it is now 4.94 GB for no apparent reason. Not to mention, HCEnc took ten hours, which is slower than creating an AVI file then converting that. Tried frameserving from VDub to TMPGEnc XPress, but it didn't support that filetype or something (which it didn't mention until I attempted to Encode; it was fine with importing it). Can't even open AVIDemux because "The procedure entry point OpenProcessToken could not be located in the dynamic link library KERNEL32.dll."

DVDShrink is saying that 'The selected video cannot be compressed'.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by koberulz View Post
    What size should I be making my files in the future?
    Many factors play into this, how length of the movie? Are you use AC3 or PCM audio? Boils down to it depends on your source.
    I usally shoot for a total size of between 3.75gb - 4bg for main movie assets. This leaves me enough room for decent menus.

I don't particularly want to run HCEnc again, as it took ten hours last time (which in itself is ridiculous), so is there any other way to fix this?
    Don't mean to be a killjoy but it really sounds like you need to start over the video appears to be crap.Based on your system specs HCEnc should be finishing the encode in minutes (like 30-45 hour at most) anything longer than that and i would be concerned. Either you are doing some seriously heavy filtering in your avs script or you're doing something terribly wrong.
    Be weary of using a lot of filtering in your scripts some filters are single threaded only so you would be using only one of your cores for the entire encode. And other filters are insanely slow daisy chaining something like FairyDust and ssxSharpen for example, would bring a lot of systems to a crawl.

Can you post you avs script so we can take a look at it.
    Murphy's law taught me everything I know.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Everything I say is false koberulz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by dragonkeeper View Post
    Based on your system specs HCEnc should be finishing the encode in minutes (like 30-45 hour at most) anything longer than that and i would be concerned. Either you are doing some seriously heavy filtering in your avs script or you're doing something terribly wrong.
    Be weary of using a lot of filtering in your scripts some filters are single threaded only so you would be using only one of your cores for the entire encode. And other filters are insanely slow daisy chaining something like FairyDust and ssxSharpen for example, would bring a lot of systems to a crawl.

Can you post you avs script so we can take a look at it.
    Code:
    SetMTMode(2,0)
    MPEG2Source("Sequence 02.d2v")
    hd2sd(interlaced=true, OutputColorSpace="YUY2")
    Quote Quote  
  9. Everything I say is false koberulz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Anyone?
    Quote Quote  
  10. Open your AVS script in VirtualDub. Select File -> Run Video Analysis Pass. What frame rate to you get?

I don't use hd2sd() but my guess is it's very slow. If so, you can cut your encoding time substantially by rendering in VirtualDub to a losslessly compressed intermediate file. Then converting the intermediate file to MPEG 2. That way you are only running the slow filtering once.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Everything I say is false koberulz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    What's the best way to go about getting that intermediate file? I don't have a whole world of hard drive space here.
    Quote Quote  
  12. You could open your script in VirtualDub, select a compression codec like HuffYUV or Lagarith, then save as AVI. Using lossless codecs will give you very large files though. In the range of 30 GB/hr. As an example, given your 10 hour conversion time, say 1 hour of that was the MPEG 2 encoding. (Probably a lot less. My Core i5 2500K encodes 2 hours of video in about 20 minutes with HcGUI in 2-pass mode.) So 9 hours of it was filtering the video twice (once for each pass). If you encoded to a lossless intermediate first it would take 4.5 hours. Then add an hour to convert that intermediate to MPEG 2. That would reduce your encoding time from 10 hours to 5.5 hours.
    Last edited by jagabo; 3rd Nov 2011 at 12:32.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I didn't realize you were doing a HD to sd conversion, instead of using the hdtosd , (i believe this to be a particularly slow filter) first off make sure your source is interlaced. If your source is progressive you can find hd to sd guides that will be significantly faster with good quality. And as others have suggested you can get faster results by encoding the avs script to an avi, then encoding the avi to mpeg-2. Granted this gives you two steps instead of one but overall encodine time will be almost halved.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Everything I say is false koberulz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Downloaded HuffYUV. Had to download the latest version of VDub to get it to show up...and now I can't open the AVS file:

---------------------------
    VirtualDub Error
    AVI Import Filter error: (Unknown) (80040154)
    OK
    Quote Quote  
  15. Everything I say is false koberulz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I didn't realize you were doing a HD to sd conversion, instead of using the hdtosd , (i believe this to be a particularly slow filter) first off make sure your source is interlaced.
    The source is 1080i.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Downloaded HuffYUV. Had to download the latest version of VDub to get it to show up...and now I can't open the AVS file:

VirtualDub Error
    OK
    Huffyuv should work with even the earliest versions of vdub, based on your error i would think you have an avisynth issue, try re-installing avisynth.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Did you move the files?
    Quote Quote  
  18. Everything I say is false koberulz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM

VirtualDub Error
    OK
    Huffyuv should work with even the earliest versions of vdub, based on your error i would think you have an avisynth issue, try re-installing avisynth.
    Tried that. Didn't work.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Very odd in deed, the error makes me think that something is properly registerd, i had to re-install avisynth on numerous occasions to get something to work after installing new apps. Try commenting out the the line where you are doing the conversion form HD2sd, then see if the script will load.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Everything I say is false koberulz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    No dice. Tried creating a new AVS file, which did nothing except point to an AVI file I've got floating around, and that didn't work either. Just opening that AVI file, however, did. Definitely seems like an AVISynth issue, but I've no idea what the hell is going on.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I've never tried the MT build of avisynth. I wonder if vdub is having an issue with it. Try installing the 2.58 version of avisynth. if that fails try frame serving the avs file to virtauldub using the makeavis function in ffdshow.

1. Go to the folder you have ffdshow installed.
    2. Run "makeAVIS.exe.
    3. Select your avs script
    4. Set your output.
    5. Click "Create". (the scri9t will be saved as an avi)

Once the file has been created you can close the app. The resuling avi can be opened in any app (at least that has been my experience).
    Quote Quote  
  22. Everything I say is false koberulz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I already have AVISynth 2.58. Tried running makeAVIS, it just popped up a command prompt window for about half a second. I couldn't actually do anything with it.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Take everything out of your plugins folder. Try a simple script like:

ColorBars()
    If that doesn't work uninstall and reinstall AviSynth. If it works try:

AviSource("filename.avi")
    With a an AVI file that you know you have a VFW decoder for (Xvid? DV?).

I that works try putting some of your plugins back in the plugins folder then open the script again. Repeat until it stops working.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Everything I say is false koberulz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Take everything out of your plugins folder. Try a simple script like:

ColorBars()
    If that doesn't work uninstall and reinstall AviSynth.
    Still doesn't work. Tried ColorBars(), failed to open it, uninstalled, reinstalled, tried ColorBars() again, still didn't open, removed all the plugins, tried ColorBars() again, still didn't open...

Found this via Google, but it's all way above anything I could hope to understand:
    https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/302249-VirtualDub-AVI-Import-Filter-error-%28Unknown%29-80040154
    Quote Quote  
  25. Originally Posted by koberulz View Post

ColorBars()
    Still doesn't work. Tried ColorBars(), failed to open it, uninstalled, reinstalled, tried ColorBars() again, still didn't open, removed all the plugins, tried ColorBars() again, still didn't open...
    Are you running 64 bit Windows? Be aware that the 64 bit an 32 bit systems are completely separate. 64 bit VirtualDub (and any other 64 bit editor) requires 64 bit AviSynth, 64 bit filters, and 64 bit codecs. And 32 bit VirtualDub requires 32 bit AviSynth, 32 bit filters, and 32 bit codecs.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM

Found this via Google, but it's all way above anything I could hope to understand:
    https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/302249-VirtualDub-AVI-Import-Filter-error-%28Unknown%29-80040154
    I would thought that an uninstall and re-install would fix issues where filters were not registered properly, but evedintly it did not in that persons case. Are you familiar with manually editing the registry?

If so do a use the search function to find any references to avisynth and delete them. (Re-boot pc not necessary but may as well flush memory). Re-install avisynth and try again.

If you are uncomfortable editing the registry manually, after un-installing avisynth download cCleaner and install. (Be sure to uncheck the install Chrome browser check box" Run cCleaner (be sure to clean registry). Re-install avisynth.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Are you running 64 bit Windows? Be aware that the 64 bit an 32 bit systems are completely separate. 64 bit VirtualDub (and any other 64 bit editor) requires 64 bit AviSynth, 64 bit filters, and 64 bit codecs. And 32 bit VirtualDub requires 32 bit AviSynth, 32 bit filters, and 32 bit codecs.
    Good point, I didn't even think to ask.
    Quote Quote  
  28. Everything I say is false koberulz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM

ColorBars()
    That'll be the problem. Is there a 64-bit version of hd2sd anywhere? I assume it's not as simple as dropping the existing one into the plugins64 folder.
    Quote Quote  
  29. Hd2sd is a script. You need to track down 64 bit versions of all the filters it uses.
    Quote Quote  
  30. Everything I say is false koberulz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Hd2sd is a script. You need to track down 64 bit versions of all the filters it uses.
    How do I know what those are?
    Quote Quote