VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I want to create a vcd of length 92 minutes. Is it possible to create the same in a single 700 mb CD? I m using VCDEASY 3.0. If yes plz advice me proper avi to pal vcd converter which reduce the size of mpg video.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Nope. VCD is a constant size, https://www.videohelp.com/vcd#tech
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Well, although I have never interpreted it this way, the user "VCD4ever" assumed that the standard spec bitrate on VCDs was a MAX, and that if you had no problem with any possible lowering of quality, you could provide a bitrate lower than that max. Since the BR would be lower, you could conceivably fit 92 minutes.
    I don't recommend this. I've always gone under the assumption that the spec reads: CBR @ 1150kbps (IIRC). Some players might accept lower, but I'm pretty sure that some players would NOT.

IIWY, I'd try breaking the title into 2 discs.

I also have to ask...It's almost 2012 - do you really still need VCD???

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    He's in India where VCDs still sell like hotcakes. But I agree with you - it's still a dumb idea. Just make a DVD.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by manono View Post
    Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    He's in India where VCDs still sell like hotcakes. But I agree with you - it's still a dumb idea. Just make a DVD.
    I have been creating DVD since 2005 but some clients need vcd for their lower budget project. Anyway I have tried lots of way but failed.
    Quote Quote  
  6. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    If you accept to go thru the "non-standard" ways, then yes it's possible to create a 2-hour long VCD

(depends a lot on on the source's compressibility AND on the eye of the beholder, of course) .

However it's quite probable that most/all VCD-only hardware players will solemnly refuse to play such discs

Therefore, either use 2 CD-Rs (as Cornucopia has recommended), or author a DVD.
    Last edited by El Heggunte; 31st Oct 2011 at 14:46. Reason: spelling
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by khankadir View Post
    some clients need vcd for their lower budget project.
    Seems like you have three options.
    1. Create a 2 two disk.
    2. Create a vcd on DVD or better yet svcd on DVD.
    3. Convince your customer that vcd is going the way of the dodo and DVD would better suit their needs.

I don't know about India but at this point in time it would cost my clients more for me to create a VCD than to author a very basic DVD. (Main menu with a play button.) The price difference between printable DVD media and and printable cdr media is negligible. I have often seen cdr media cost more than DVD media, so where is the savings to your budget minded customers?

Not to mention that it appears that fewer and fewer players support vcds. Out of all the blu-ray players and DVD players I currently have, I believe only the Phillips supports VCDs. Things may be different in India though.
    Murphy's law taught me everything I know.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I want to create a vcd of length 92 minutes. Is it possible to create the same in a single 700 mb CD? I m using VCDEASY 3.0. If yes plz advice me proper avi to pal vcd converter which reduce the size of mpg video.
    Not sure if they're available in your area, but there used to be '90 minute' CDRs. Might have been some 99 minute ones too... don't think they were very dependable though. You could lower your bitrate and fit your 92 minute video, or, just find 2mins of video to cut.
    Have a good one,

neomaine

NEW! VideoHelp.com F@H team 166011!
    http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/main.py?qtype=teampage&teamnum=166011

Folding@Home FAQ and download: http://folding.stanford.edu/
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by neomaine View Post
    Not sure if they're available in your area, but there used to be '90 minute' CDRs. Might have been some 99 minute ones too... don't think they were very dependable though. You could lower your bitrate and fit your 92 minute video, or, just find 2mins of video to cut.
    they don't work with vcd/svcd because of the sector numbering used to create oversized discs.

you can't change the bitrate of vcd video, it's 1150kbps or it's not vcd.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    As others have said, a truly vcd-compliant disc will not run longer than about 80 minutes on a standard CDR. Deviation from the standard will generally introduce problems with some fraction of players. If that doesn't bother you, then you can reduce both audio and video bitrate (or either alone). Achieving a 92 minute run time is a trivial task. Quality suffers as you push to longer and longer times, but then again, no one should expect high quality from VCD, so perhaps that's not such a big deal. If you're unhappy with the end result, keep lowering expectations until you're satisfied.

These off-spec VCDs are generically referred to as "XVCDs" in most places. TMPGEnc is a popular tool for doing the encoding, and VCDEasy is a popular tool for authoring. Countless users have happily produced low-res discs with these and similar tools.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    What about the old Tmpgenc 2.5 and the KVCD templates.
    This used to work pretty good at these extended length non-standard VCD's.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Well, if you still have the same VCD/DVD player that worked with those non-standard burns, there's a good likelihood that it will still work.
    However, times have changed.
    What I'm seeing in most NEW DVD and BD players is that if they support VCD at all (which is becoming quite rare), it's only the files/burns that are fully compliant that work. Which is what we've been saying...

To sum it up: It really doesn't make much sense to sacrifice long-term viability for short-term all-on-one convenience.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm not the OP, I only mentioned it as a possible option . I did a few, and they certainly worked on the three players I had at the time!
    Quote Quote